another turbo conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another turbo conversion question

i finally found a turbo with most of the parts.

i found a 85 turbo. it has the manifold, turbo, injectors, ect. but no computer. the turbo is siezed. but i can fix that. i have plenty of parts throught turbonetics. i'll probably do a T4/t3 hybrid.

i have swapped a 88' NA computer into my car. how hard is it going to be to use a NA computer? i know it needs to be tuned. but what will my base set up be. i'll probably run an intercooler and around 8-9psi.

thanks. i must have looked at 20 different Z's and finally found a turbo.

What are you planning to tune with?

I seem to remember a conversation from a couple years ago that there are physical component differences between an 88NA and turbo ECU (for example) At least you have the right O2 sensor/ECU combo but I have a feeling that 88NA ECU wont be what you want for a turbo conversion. I could be wrong though...
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

i don't know enough. thats why i'm wondering. i'm thinking i'll use nistune when and if it comes. i've kind of given up on the NA route for a little while. i can't find the parts i want for a NA build. like higher compression pistons, ect.

sorry man. i was going to go your route, but i have given up right now. i can get the turbo set up for $50-100. i can't get another 30hp out of my motor for that. fixing the turbo will put me back another $2-300. and a custome intercooler, i have no idea yet. my body work will be finished next summer. and then i'll start posting up pictures of the car. right now its so ugly i'm embarassed to show it off.

Comment

Nistune will be here...IT IS COMING! keep the faith. Dont waist your money on the old school stuff.

No worries on the NA thing, hell I may eventually convert to the dark side but not before I am satisfied with my work with the NA. :twisted: (there is a long term master plan in place. hehehe :twisted: but it will take a couple years to adequately complete 8) )

Body/paint aren't the only thing to consider when looking at a car. My 84 was a prime example. See it sitting in the driveway....eeh, just another Z that needs a paint job. Open the doors and the hood...different story. Sexy is good for the eye appeal but only goes so far. :shock:
        Performance costs money.

Comment

84z31 wrote: i finally found a turbo with most of the parts.

i found a 85 turbo. it has the manifold, turbo, injectors, ect. but no computer. the turbo is siezed. but i can fix that. i have plenty of parts throught turbonetics. i'll probably do a T4/t3 hybrid.

i have swapped a 88' NA computer into my car. how hard is it going to be to use a NA computer? i know it needs to be tuned. but what will my base set up be. i'll probably run an intercooler and around 8-9psi.

thanks. i must have looked at 20 different Z's and finally found a turbo.
          The 88NA computer will use the same o2 sensor that's in the 85's o2 bung.
          What you want to do is get it socketed (http://www.moates.net) for ~35$ including shipping, and put the stock 88SS program on an eprom to get you going for now.
          You'll have to solder resistors into the injector wiring and undo the factory recall. Takes about an hour once you have the directions.

When Nistune comes around for ya, you'll just simply yank out the chip, and install it in it's place.
          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

i've already done the resistors and the car never had the recall done to it.

so bammm

all i need is a programmed computer!!! :lol: :shock:

Comment

84z31 wrote: i've already done the resistors and the car never had the recall done to it.

so bammm

all i need is a programmed computer!!! :lol: :shock:
              You've got it. I've dealt with MANY of the 88na comps.

Comment

Well that is good news man. Git er' done!
                Performance costs money.

Comment

i'll be going down to get the turbo after thanksgiving break. i'm sure it'll be a blast.

i'm going to pull:

injectors and rails
                  upper plenuim
                  turbo up pipe
                  oil lines
                  alternator brackets
                  drivers side engine mount
                  down pipe all the way to the cat. (that way it'll match right up to my new exhaust system).

i'm going to try to break all the studZ on the block holding the manifold on. for a very quick removal.

i'm not going to get the oil pan. i can weld up a bung if i need to.

then by the end of the summer i should have it all together and running. i'm going to replace the stock radiator with an aluminum one sitting upright.

so who can burn me a prom for the 88 turbo? then i'll be pretty much set. besides intercooling

Comment

84z31 wrote: i'll be going down to get the turbo after thanksgiving break. i'm sure it'll be a blast.

i'm going to pull:

injectors and rails
                    upper plenuim
                    turbo up pipe
                    oil lines
                    alternator brackets
                    drivers side engine mount
                    down pipe all the way to the cat. (that way it'll match right up to my new exhaust system).

i'm going to try to break all the studZ on the block holding the manifold on. for a very quick removal.

i'm not going to get the oil pan. i can weld up a bung if i need to.

then by the end of the summer i should have it all together and running. i'm going to replace the stock radiator with an aluminum one sitting upright.

so who can burn me a prom for the 88 turbo? then i'll be pretty much set. besides intercooling
                    *cough* I've got a burner *cough*

you already have a turbo crossmember? If you need it, grab the pan too...

Comment

how much do you want for a chip?

yeah i'll grab the cross member

Comment

i caould hook you up with a part for cost!
                        http://www.xtremeperformanceonline.com/ ... r_z31.html

Comment

84z31 wrote: how much do you want for a chip?

yeah i'll grab the cross member
                          Hrmm, apparently he's not carrying the 29c256's anymore. http://www.moates.net/product_info.php? ... ucts_id=39

send me two of these, and I'll burn one for ya. As long as you stick to a stock program, that's all I care about.

PM for address if you want to do it.

Comment

i'm going to go get the parts. i'll be later with my new parts!

Comment

Working...
                            X