ODD RANDOM occurance from my NA Z31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODD RANDOM occurance from my NA Z31

3 nights ago I was driving and I noticed my car felt weird?
    Every time I shifted the car would jump (FS5W71C), and it would act weird upon decel ONLY.
    I noticed upon turning off my cd player to listen to the engine that the injectors were NOT shutting off when I let off the throttle. They kept themselves still spraying fuel, and how I know is because engine RPM's were decelerating at a EXTREMELY slow rate, and that jerking from shifting normally was because the engine wasn't decelerating fast enough to match the next gears appropriate RPM.

I was lost and thought that this syptom is from my TPS because i Screwed with the settings on it 6-7 months back and it did the exact same thing.

Anyway...
    Still driving I turned the key off so the ECU turns off and turned it back on, and EVERYTHING went back to normal. It has only done it once again yesterday but turning the car off and then back on fixed it...

Now I know its not a problem or anything but I would love a maybe technical explanation of what is happening, what happened, maybe why it happened?
    I tried to think of what could of gone wrong and cant think of anything?
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Kinda strange...... Every so often my RPM's creep down very slow. Bugs the crap out of me shifting that slow.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Sounds like TPS to me..

Or maybe it needs an air filter....lol
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Been monkeying around the ECU plugs anytime recently? I was doing a stereo install on my old Z and it did that. Turns out I applied pressure ever so slightly on one of the connections and it did the exact same thing. Or the TPS as stated above, most likely a better bet.

Comment

I was lost and thought that this syptom is from my TPS because i Screwed with the settings on it 6-7 months back and it did the exact same thing.
          Umm? lol
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

haha, i just caught that

Comment

i have a question.. how the hell can you hear the injectors? superman hearing?????

Comment

They make a ticking noise...

Comment

I cannot hear the injectors...
                  I have a cd player problem (I think the unit is defective) and I have TONSSSS OF alternator "noise" interference, the speakers make a whine related to engine speed, and recently they've been ticking ONLY with the injectors (LOL), The speakers LITERALLY tick related to how many times the injectors are firing, call me crazy but im being serious... and when you let off throttle in gear above 1500rpms (fuel cut) the ticking COMPLETELY goes away and when u put it in higher gear and HIGH engine load situations and the injectors are firing for a longer duration the tick goes with it... haha!

Anyway... I have NEVER tampered with the ECU

Another problem...
                  On Hot or cold starts, for the first couple of seconds it runs like ABSOLUTE CRAP, it hesistates and runs RICHER THAN JESUS. lol... You can smell it inside the cabin but after driving it around it goes away (usually 10-15 seconds of driving)

CHTS?
                  Plugs?
                  (remember im NA and not Turbo just a reminder...)
                  Attached Files
                  1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
                  ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
                  1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

I'm confused, keep the thread to one problem only... But I'll try just to humor myself.

I have a cd player problem (I think the unit is defective) and I have TONSSSS OF alternator "noise" interference
                    Your stereo isn't grounded that's all, there isn't mystical gremlins living in your car with saucepans making funny noises. The rest of that paragraph makes no sense to me.

On Hot or cold starts, for the first couple of seconds it runs like ABSOLUTE CRAP, it hesistates and runs RICHER THAN JESUS. lol... You can smell it inside the cabin but after driving it around it goes away (usually 10-15 seconds of driving)
                    Could be CHTS, could also be timing aswell or a fuel leak or all of them... Inspect.

And wasn't Jesus poor? :P
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

haha mine is running ass rich , gas coming out of the exhaust a little bit...

Also i have to rev the car a bit when its cold and warm so it doesnt stall...

Comment

[quote=300zxt].Your stereo isn't grounded that's all, there isn't mystical gremlins living in your car with saucepans making funny noises.

That engine/electrical noise is a grounding issue. There are a couple grounding wires on the engine bay harness other than the primary grounding line to the battery. Be sure they are all connected. They all (2-3) have ring solderless connector. I missed 1 when I was replacing the engine on my 84 and I had electrical feedback through the stereo until I found the unattached wire behind the plenum.

Also, don't rely on the stock ground wiring for the stereo. run a grounding wire to the cross member frame behind the dash or to the dash mounting screws near the stereo. Electrical they will be the same thing.

Given your stereo feedback (EMI) you may have a grounding issue that is also causing your injector problem as well. Just a guess but check it out. There is a grounding wire on the passenger side of the injector/ e-bay harness. Make sure it is clean and securely fastened to the plenum.
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Ive noticed that the RPMs can go down slowly like that, i think it sucks... I always thought it was just my engine. Maybe it is :? ...

My shit engine even holds the RPM for a couple of seconds before it backs off... lol i have a bad feeling it will blow up soon... Maybe it will inspire me to do some things to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X