Next steps, feedback needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next steps, feedback needed

Now that I pretty much have the power train, suspension and interior redone on my NA I'm beginning my planning for the next steps...POWER. :twisted:

I'm not slapping in a turbo just yet. I want to get some more umph out of the NA engine and setup first. I figure that nearly anything I do now will only enhance the turbo addition later. I know this goes against the grain but bear with me if you would. :wink:

Here is an overview of where I'm at now: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2152182

Here is what I am planning for my next steps:
    1- Adjustable Cam gears from TSS (already ordered)
    2- L&P Plenum- will order soon
    3- Adjustable FPR- also on the buy soon list

Where I'm not sure:
    4- Will the NA MAF handle the increased air flow? Not sure if they are the same as the turbo MAFs or not.
    5- Nistune or Romulator for engine and fuel management. Could allow for larger injectors if coupled with an ECU? Possibly beneficial for NA now and for turbo conversion later?
    6- ECU upgrade- for long term and short term gains. Will a turbo ECU act properly in an NA or should I just wait on this whole section for the turbo upgrade?
    7- Bigger injectors- Would require the ECU upgrade to handle the fuel flow, but would the NA benefit from the increased fuel if I had injectors, ECU and programming to handle it?

I'm not rich but I spend the money to get what I need to get this done properly. Why stop now :shock: This car is already past the point of no return financially.

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge. I know this is lot of stuff for one post. ops:
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

OR-Zman wrote:
    Where I'm not sure:
    4- Will the NA MAF handle the increased air flow? Not sure if they are the same as the turbo MAFs or not.
    5- Nistune or Romulator for engine and fuel management. Could allow for larger injectors if coupled with an ECU? Possibly beneficial for NA now and for turbo conversion later?
    6- ECU upgrade- for long term and short term gains. Will a turbo ECU act properly in an NA or should I just wait on this whole section for the turbo upgrade?
    7- Bigger injectors- Would require the ECU upgrade to handle the fuel flow, but would the NA benefit from the increased fuel if I had injectors, ECU and programming to handle it?
    First off, an adjustable pressure regulator is a complete waste of money for you right now.

4. MAF should be fine. It can meter about 300HP, which you won't make on a lightly modded NA engine anyway.

5. An ECU retune will net you large gains. Russ made 20+hp and 30+lb ft over stock. Maybe he would be willing to share or sell his dyno tuned binary file for use by other NA people with similar modifications. I tuned an NA a couple months ago and can honestly tell you the difference before and after was night and day.

6. A turbo ECU might actually lose power over an NA ECU when used on an NA engine. Based on the fueling and timing, I'd be willing to bet it would.

7. Maybe if you managed to max out stock NA injectors. If you do really want to upgrade, I would upgrade them to something like 440's for now so you do have the fueling potential once you do the turbo swap.

Comment

Are you planning on using nitrous with the larger injectors? I wouldn't see the need for more fuel without using nitrous or forced induction.

All z31 MAF's 84-89 are exactly the same for NA and turbo.

Comment

Jason- thanks for the constructive feedback as always. Ill hit Russ up on that dyno tuned binary file.

MikeZ- Not planning on nitrous so Ill plan to stick with the NA injectors for now. Ive kicked that idea around though. :wink:

I figured the MAF would be OK but had to ask to make sure.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
        X