X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chronic
    replied
    Thanks guys!

Yeah this is a really great forum. Probably my favourite 300z forum for sure!

Another reason I made those butterfly washers was when I was milling the inside of the plenum, gutting it out.

I cut right through the casting by some of the runners. For some reason, I guess...depending on where some of the manifolds were made, the mould was a bit high underneath the plenum by the runners.

So, those washers were to also cover up those breaks. I wanted to mill the bottom of the plenum flush with the rest of the manifold. But after I started breaking through a couple spots. I figured I would just keep it as it is.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ackion
    replied
    Dang great job Chronic. I knew I had to do something after removing my gutted plenum for the second time due to leaks. I could not come up with anything as creative. THIS FORUM IS GOOD STUFF!!! FINE PEOPLE ON HERE!!!

Leave a comment:

• SATAN
    replied
    Thats interesting, I havent seen anyone do that yet. good job.

Leave a comment:

• chronic
    replied
    I haven't actually put any boost through that guy yet. I think I am going to make another one or have some body weld me some material around the inner walls so I can put more bolts into the cover.

I only really have 6 good strong bolts on there out of the 8 and I kind of doubt it could handle that much boost.

But with that being said, getting the lid off the plenum with that gasket maker stuff was a pain in the freakin ass! So it might...

As for those washers. All I did was measured how much of the bolt stuck out of the bottom of the stock plenum. VS mine. Then I cut those butterfly shaped pieces out of aluminum, and used an extra 1/4 washer so they sat down about the same length.

Leave a comment:

• ackion
    replied
    washers under plenum bolts

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! I see something. The washers under your plenum bolts. Where did you get these? Did you fabricate them? I did not have them or use them when I installed(unsucessfully) my gutted plenum, ended up breaking seat on lower manifold bolt, causing a can of worms. I think I see what could have been my problem.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    hey chronic, how is that manifold holding up to boost?

Leave a comment:

• chronic
    replied
    Your engine will probably run cleaner hah

I made this manifold a couple of months ago. I took it off yesterday to do my injectors and it was just fricken gross.

Stupid egr and my rich running engine.

Leave a comment:

• ackion
    replied
    thanks, your becoming my favorite Ga. Cracker

Leave a comment:

• grahfz
    replied
    Pull the vacuum line off of it, and get a long one.

With the engine idling, plug the long one onto it, and suck on it with your mouth. It SHOULD start making the engine die, if it doesn't, pull on it as hard as you can.. you'll hear it "POP" and the engine will usually stall from that one.

Idle it again, and exercise it a bunch of times, until you're sure that it's not sticking anymore.

I've gotten a few Z's through emissions like this. I usually have the guys leave it on the rollers while I do this right after a fail, then they'll retest and it'll pass. Most of them are like "WTF".. lol

Sounds like everythings working fine, it's just sticking open.. exercise it a bit... it'll probably break enough crud off of it to work properly again.

Leave a comment:

• ackion
    replied
    with the vacumn line running to the EGR blocked off, it runs smoothly. Connected, it runs smooth after just starting it up, and after about a block of driving, it starts idleing like crap. I know its not right. My exhaust went from grey to dark black and feul comsumption has halved.

Leave a comment:

• GotFast?
    replied
    With the EGR removed it should run a leaner mixture. More air is getting into the cylinder, because its not being displaced by exhaust. The only reason it would run richer is if your o2 sensor is seeing the lean mix and compensating by adding more fuel. However it shouldnt be so rich that you notice black soot building up on the rear bumper cover.

Richer mixture - Lower combustion chamber temperatures.
    Leaner Mixture - Higher combustion chamber temperatures.

A 14.7:1 af mixture will burn roughly 2500 degrees F. This is where your Nox Emissions occure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X