gutted plenum problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gutted plenum problem

I attempted to install a gutted plenum on my 86 Na. I could not get it to idle at all. After removing and reinstalling three dang times, I finally put the original plenum back on. The car hates me and attempts to urge more power out of it. Does the gutted plenum change things that much?

no, you probably have a vacuum leak.

Comment

Ok, then it is just my lousy mechanicing. I will go over it one more time. Thank you

Comment

try a little silicon between the mating surfaces. good luck.
        Attached Files

Comment

84z31 wrote: try a little silicon between the mating surfaces. good luck.
          BAHHH!
          Use a thin layer of Permatex The Right Stuff on both sides of the gasket and torque it in sequence to spec. Go back and double check that they are torqued after you tighten the last bolt.
          I am here to help...

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I over torqued the very last bolt and broke off the seat on the lower intake manifold. Had to locate another one and take everything off again. I finally resorted in my frustration to taking it to a local speed shop and have them straighten out my stupid mastakes. They put the original plenum back on. Im so glad to have my car running right again, Im gun shy to try it again, not to mention the grand it cost me. Lord help us shade tree mechanics. Thank you guys for the advice. I will try again, but I hope the gutted plenum is worth the trouble. I am trying to get enough knowledge to exchange the injectors if Im gona do this crap again. I see where Jason I beleive services the injectors, so I am going to see if so, would he service the injectors before I try this again, and learn if I should use the 87t injectors or the larger Mercedes injectors I purchased.

Comment

ackion wrote: not to mention the grand it cost me. Lord help us shade tree mechanics.
              OUCH! is that shop running a special this week?a grand to r&r the intake manifold or $20,000 for an engine rebuild. but it includes new belts and hoses...

Comment

you got it. That is why our gas in Naples is .50 cent more than the rest of the country. Our gas is better than any one elses.
                Attached Files

Comment

UH, most places charge about $80 an hour for work. super special shops charge about 140 per hour or so. they must have charged you 500 per hour and then took thier sweet ass time :shock:
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Yes, I feel I was really ripped off. Not only did the total bill for taking off my gutted plenum and putting back on the original plenum come to well over a thousand dollars, they gave me back a car that refused to idle correctly. Told me it needed a total tune up. I knew better, but I did the total tune up myself. No results. Finally I ended up with a EGR provblem. Never had it before. Soooooo Im sure this will not be the only screwing I get on this journey, but Im not going to be as easy the next time. I am comming up to speed quickly, but can't advoid some misakes. This was certianly a doozie.

Comment

For future reference, when doing a plenum job, buy one of these, they come off of the vg33's.. they're STEEL and reusable. The 33's exhaust gaskets are the same way.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...=Plenum+Gasket
                      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

thanks grahfp, I will do that when I attempt again. I used to live in Marietta close to the Big Chicken.

Comment

ackion wrote: thanks grahfp, I will do that when I attempt again. I used to live in Marietta close to the Big Chicken.
                          LOL, where are you at now? FL? I'm working at Windy Hill Rd right now, and live in Alpharetta.

Comment

I used to live on Kennesaw Ave just off the square. Now I live in Naples Florida. I thank you for your suggestion on the Napa plenum gasket.

Comment

ackion wrote: I used to live on Kennesaw Ave just off the square. Now I live in Naples Florida. I thank you for your suggestion on the Napa plenum gasket.
                              Yep, I know it ;D

Not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X