ECU running constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't heard back from you.

Did you get the ecu unit and the serial convertor figured out?

Is there anything you need from me? I'm here to help if you need it.
    Attached Files
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Jason is looking for a new serial USB converter.

Your USB converter itself (nothing plugged into it!) always says "Nistune communications device" whenever I plug it in. Even on my home PC, which doesn't even have Nistune on it. I think that's why the device won't install on my PC and my computer can't talk to the Romulator.
      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
      "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

umm, oh, isn't the Nistune unit an FTDI as well? You've got the nistune drivers installed, so the FTDI device it's seeing, is being matched up to those drivers.

Did you try a reflash of the nistune firmware yet?

I had it working all together, LM1,romulator through the serial, and nistune via usb.

Can you plug it all together, let it detect it as a nistune device, then in device manager, force it to use the proper drivers?

Then plug in the NisTune and see if it comes in properly.. may have to force the drivers on it too.

I think that FTDI's about it these days when it comes to usb->serial.

I'd try one of these rather than another USB type.. I know that i've seen two-ports cheaper than this.

http://www.usbgear.com/1x-Serial-PCMCIA.html

http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...A+Serial+Cards

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Resul...rm=all&x=0&y=0

shop it around and see what you can come up with.

Comment

Bear with me here...I'm not real good with the technical issues of computers.

I don't know what FTDI means to be honest. :? Maybe Jason can shed some light on some of the technical aspects here.

What I don't understand is why that seeminly ordinary adapter was recognized as Nistune when my home PC would have no idea of knowing what the hell Nistune is.

I tried to force different USB drivers onto that adapter itself and it wouldn't work.

Are you saying that I should connect it all together in the car and then try to install the device? Using what driver?
          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
          '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues

Comment

Nah, try to get the usb guy to work on your home computer, where it's warm.

I'm thinking that the USB->serial got flashed with Nistune firmware, so it's reporting back that it's a nistune now.

I looked it up in the nistune drivers file, and it's also an FTDI device.

FTDI is just the company that makes the USB to Serial chips, that every joe,john, and willie use to build these little things.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/In...tion_Guide.pdf
            Jump down to the troubleshooting stuff, and grab the usbview, and read that section about not finding drivers for the device. It's kinda the same idea.

Basically, it's boiling down to reflashing the convertor. I'm hunting for firmware now.

Comment

I had that problem also.

I also had the problem of the USB to serial trying to select the Nistund driver. Then Nistune would not work, as well.
              What I had to do is go into the DLL file (I'm running win98se) remove every reference to Nistune, go back to the USB to serial adapter and install the driver. Check it in device manager to make sure it it there, then check the comm port to make sure it is there also. After the USB adapter is installed correctly, then load Nistune. Make SURE when you go to install the Nistune driver, that the USB adapter is on line and installed correctly. Then the Nistune driver will be assigned to the consultant board.

I had a heck of a time getting my USB hub, USB to serial adapter, and finally Nistune to install correctly and run together. The thing is that the sam4 company makes the chip for Nistune, and for the USB adapter. That is why it gets confused and tries to load the Nistune driver when it finds the USB adapter.
              Total pain, and I have not even tried running XP yet.

Comment

Any lucks?

Comment

Here's what I still get when I plug in the adapter to the home PC. I searched for NIStune on the home computer and nothing even comes up.

I read that thing and it sounds like the EEPROM chip in there was screwed up by NIStune.

So, unless there is anyway to reset that chip back to normal, I'm just going to have to wait a couple weeks until the next time I see Jason to get this fixed.
                  1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Comment

280Z Turbo wrote:

Here's what I still get when I plug in the adapter to the home PC. I searched for NIStune on the home computer and nothing even comes up.

I read that thing and it sounds like the EEPROM chip in there was screwed up by NIStune.

So, unless there is anyway to reset that chip back to normal, I'm just going to have to wait a couple weeks until the next time I see Jason to get this fixed.
                    I haven't come up with a "stock" flash for the convertor.

I'd try jeffp's advice too.

Comment

NIStune used to use the generic USB product ID 6001 which is also used for other FTDI devices (serial converters etc)

The drivers and boards have been updated to use our own allocated product ID now, and the latest installation packages use these.

Under the windowsinf directory if you search in the *.inf files for 'NIStune' and remove those files then when you plug in the FTDI device, it will now ask for FTDI devices. Use the newer NIStune drivers and should be fine

If the FTDI device of has the EEPROM chip reflashed as a NIStune device (which is only possible if the user has ran MPROG and loaded in the NIStune program file), then you can reset these to normal by selecting FT232 or FT245 which uses a default product Id of 6001 and then burn it

Comment

well then, there we go. An answer from the man himself.

Have a chance to try it yet?

Comment

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Turns out that USB converter was junk. Jason told me about a place here in West Michigan where I could get a cheap one for $10.

Now it works great and I finally uploaded the tune that Jason and I worked on...only to find that it disappeared since November. :cry: I kinda figured it would, but the car ran better than ever with that tune!

I guess it's back to the drawing board, although I do remember some of what we did.
                          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Comment

Cool, good deal!

Comment

Working...
                            X