Bleeder style Boost Controllers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeder style Boost Controllers.....

I want to bump up my boost to about 8.5-9 p.s.i. with a bleeder style Boost Controller, Now I heard that they are very bad to use,is this true?

fuelrags wrote: I want to bump up my boost to about 8.5-9 p.s.i. with a bleeder style Boost Controller, Now I heard that they are very bad to use,is this true?
    The only reason it could be bad on our cars is because of the MAF. other than that they work fine for a cheap controller

What exactly did you hear about them being VERY BAD to use?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

People use them and they work fine.

I think the ball and spring type work a little better because they don't open the wastegate until maximum boost has been reached which supposedly speeds up boost response.

If you want a ball and spring type, you can get one from http://www.boostvalve.com

That's where I got mine. BTW, get the 1/4" one if you do go that route. It fits better than the 3/16" one.
      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
      "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

This was said on Z31.com...."Boost controller: Get one. Bleeders are bad. Spring loaded check valve style are good. Electronic doohickeys aren't worth the money for 99% of turbo cars. The Gillis boost controller is nice and cheap and comes with the proper size vacum lines even! " what do you guys think?

Comment

it is completly retarded to spend more than 15 bucks on a manual boost controller. as far as i am concerned they are all garbage compared to an electronic one. if you are gonna buy garbage then why pay too much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Qua ... 8461QQrdZ1

buy one of these for 12 bucks shipped. it will be no different than a name brand MBC. crank the boost up and live with the inconsistancy, spiking, lag, and obnoxious adjustment procedure.. then, one day when you have the money spend the 300 bucks on a Profec B or similar electronic one.
          Attached Files

Comment

MBCs blow ass. They're all the same design within reason...they're all going to generally give you the same problems. The more expensive ones have better springs and are probably easier to adjust...
            I made mine out of home depot fittings and a spring from a really weird ballpoint pen, and the checkball from a small wheel bearing.

I eventually took it out cause it sucked.

Comment

yeah, i like it when my subaru buddy pays 90 dollars for his anodized blue controller that you need some dinky ass stupid allen wrench to adjust.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

yea, i dont get it.. i put a 130 dollar manual controller on a friends evo MR.. i cant understand why he bought it.. an MBC is a cheap way to get a few extra psi on an old beater.... i cant understand why a higher serious owner with a higher end car would want to still use an MBC.. an EBC has so many advantages over a maual.. those things are a joke

Comment

not that I have yet instaled a boost controller on my NA :shock: But it could be an interesting idea. hehehe.

Show them my motto.... :wink:
                  Just stand back and throw money.
                  Performance costs money.
                  Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Chris86NA2T wrote: it is completly retarded to spend more than 15 bucks on a manual boost controller. as far as i am concerned they are all garbage compared to an electronic one. if you are gonna buy garbage then why pay too much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Qua ... 8461QQrdZ1

buy one of these for 12 bucks shipped. it will be no different than a name brand MBC. crank the boost up and live with the inconsistancy, spiking, lag, and obnoxious adjustment procedure.. then, one day when you have the money spend the 300 bucks on a Profec B or similar electronic one.
                    i have one of these boost controllers and to tell u the truth it worked great other than it had a small boost spike but it wasn't bad at all just like 1 psi so i turned it down a bit and it worked great

Comment

Did nobody read the new turbo FAQ? Why did I waste my time?

2. Manual boost controllers: $20-$100
                      More brands than can be listed. These are basic units that do the same thing as their electronic counterparts, except using only mechanical parts. Highly recommended for the budget-minded person. Because of a common problem called "boost spike", some cheap manual controllers can cause, they have a somewhat bad reputation with some people. Boost spike with a manual controller is usually only a problem with internal wastegates, and is usually caused from having too much hose between the controller and the actuator. There are two basic types of manual controllers:

Ball-spring type: simple ball and spring valve goes inline between boost source and wastegate actuator. Blocks signal to the actuator until pressure exceeds that of the spring tension. Spring tension on the ball is adjustable by a knob or bolt.

Bleed type: uses an adjustable bleed valve which bleeds signal line air to cause a pressure drop in the signal line, hence raising boost pressure.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Did nobody read the new turbo FAQ? Why did I waste my time?

Doctor!!, This man needs a morganectomy before the infection sreads to his brain!!

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I really don't buy all that negative talk about MBCs.

It seems like most of the people that complain about them made their own and didn't set it up right. Then they go out and buy a good one and it works much better.

A lot of guys swear by MBCs and some even say that they actually respond faster. From all I've seen, the main advantage of an EBC is just easier adjustability.

I'm gonna need a lot more convincing before I drop hundreds of dollars on an electronic boost leak. :wink:
                          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
                          '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues

Comment

I don't see how a ball and spring could respond to pressure changes faster than an electronic PWM solenoid, but I am not sure what the latency on the MAP sensor greddy uses is...

It's not a boost leak (unless you are using an external gate and have it set to do that)... it's blocking boost signal with a internal gate actuator.

Comment

Some guy on Zcar.com was talking about this comparison test. I didn't read though it all yet, but it is quite interesting:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/ ... t_control/

They seemed to think the MBC was not only effective, but BETTER than some of these expensive electronic controllers.
                              1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X