No announcement yet.

Variations in the ECU's over the years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variations in the ECU's over the years.

I'm starting this post to publish pictures of the different ECU's that came in the cars. I'll be adding an 85t,86t,88na, and the 88T ecu. I also have an m30 ecu to add, but it's not really important.

The point behind this, is to show that there really were some hardware improvements over the years, until they got it down to these guys, the amount of crap on the boards to burn out shrank dramatically.

And that I wouldn't waste my time trying to modify an earlier ecu.

Post up any pics that you guys want to add ;D

88T

88T Daughterboard
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

I can snap a detailed pict of the following if you'd like:

JWT '86n/a fed. 5spd.

'87t fed. auto

'84t fed. 5spd.

'84n/a fed. 5spd.

*(I have a few others too)
    ~Want them posted here?
    Dan 8)
    I am here to help...

Comment

Yep, if you can. I'm coppermineing them here too, the 87t is one that I'll probably never see otherwise.

Wow, we'll pretty much get them all under control.

the 84/85t's, I wanted to get it open with both boards laid out, so you can get the idea of how big they really are.

Comment

I have 87t auto and 87t manual ecus.... I sold my 87na auto

Comment

wow, that looks just like the same idea i have on my website.

http://www.zrelated.com/Z31prog&tuning.htm

'84T

'88NA

92 Pathfinder

[img]http://www.zrelated.com/Z31prog&tuning_ ... G_4367.JPG[img]
          90 Inifinty M30

And, why is the M30 ECCS not important? Let's see, CONSULT capabilities, sequential injector control, throttle position sensor (allows quicker throttle response), same architecture are Z32 ECCS. Same thing goes for the Pathfinder ECCSs.
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

It's not important because that's outside the scope of what I'm trying to do here.

Looks like you beat me to it ;D
            the 86T's are different than the 85t's though

Comment

from looking at my '86 ECCS, it has the same setup as the early '87s, which have a 27C** and 24C** EPROM installed on the board. So, here's how i see the transitions of ECCSs going . . .

84-85, programmable, but why? Its hard to find EEPROM 24C*** CMOS chips anyways, since that technology is obsolete for the most part. Also, where the 24C*** chip lies on the board, there is room for a 27C*** chip as well, being as there are a couple extra holes to fit a 28DIP chip in the place of the 24DIP. After some jumper modifications and what not, it is ready to read from the 27C*** chip. This is what Nistune does.

86 - 4/87, programmable with moderate modifications, using only the 27C*** CMOS. This is what Nistune does.

5/87 - 89, programmable with very light modifications, using the 27C*** CMOS. Again, this is what Nistune does.
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

dont wana clog the forums, so quick question..

would an 88 fed. Mt. N/A ECU be better to tune with than an 87 fed. Mt. Turbo ECU?

the 88N/A is in possession and the 87T will be soon, just trying to weigh some options
                Attached Files

Comment

88sinZ wrote: dont wana clog the forums, so quick question..

would an 88 fed. Mt. N/A ECU be better to tune with than an 87 fed. Mt. Turbo ECU?

the 88N/A is in possession and the 87T will be soon, just trying to weigh some options
                  That's why I'm posting these up, the ANY "88+" will be far less work to modify than the earlier ones.

I'm not certain when they changed to the last style, bemis mentions 4/87, and that may be correct.. it's when they improved the turbos w/ lsd's and whatnot... I can't say for certain myself..

But if it doesn't look like the ecu in the pictures here, you've got more work ahead of yourself than it may be worth.

Comment

modification for tuning... perhaps Im smoking crack here but I am almost possitive that I have an 84NA ECU with nistune NVram installed by Matt that should be about as far as anyone cares to get with tuning on a VG. Pick you year and ECU and nistune should handle it. For a few extra $ send it to someone that actually knows how to install this stuff properly. Im sure Matt wont mind a few extra $ in Aussie currency.

Unless I have missed something on that board I should be aware of...I will read carefully tomorrow.
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Has anyone shown how to modify the earlier ecu's for new AFM's?

Comment

grahfz wrote: Has anyone shown how to modify the earlier ecu's for new AFM's?
                        It can be done. Just signal trace the AFM signal on the board and see what kind of electronic components it goes through. Almost certain theres an OpAmp to bring the signal into CMOS range, then an A/D Convertor.

[qoute=OR-Zman]perhaps Im smoking crack here but I am almost possitive that I have an 84NA ECU with nistune NVram installed by Matt that should be about as far as anyone cares to get with tuning on a VG[/qoute]

Yes, Nistune does allow the use of the earlier boards for programming. But, your stuck with the stock MAS until you figure out how to make the modifications on the board to support a different MAS. Also, when you send your older ECCS to Matt for him to install all his Nistune stuff, he's making all the necessary modifications to the board to support a 27C*** chip.
                        2000 Porsche Boxster
                        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

grahfz wrote:
                          I'm not certain when they changed to the last style, bemis mentions 4/87, and that may be correct.. it's when they improved the turbos w/ lsd's and whatnot... I can't say for certain myself..
                          I give that specific month because that is the obvious trend that I have been seeing on 87 Z's at the junkyard. If its date is above 4/87, it has the latest ECCS.
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

[quote]bemis wrote:
                            Originally posted by grahfz
                            I give that specific month because that is the obvious trend that I have been seeing on 87 Z's at the junkyard. If its date is at or above 4/87, it has the latest ECCS.
                            I would really like to verify that... if someone else with a late 87 car could snap some pictures to verify it would be great.

Though to know for sure you would have to look at them side by side.

Comment

ok, here ya go

4/87 NA

9/87 NA

* i corrected my statement above, the change to the latest ECCS occured after 4/87.

To know for sure . .
                              If there is an "A" in the second set of numbers in the nomenclature of the ECCS, then it is a later ECCS.
                              If there is only a "M" in the third set of numbers, then it is a 86 - 4/87 model.
                              If there are no letters throughout the nomenclature, except for the remanufactured units which have a "K" at the end, then it is a early ECCS.
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Working...
                              X