Possible Dead Fuel Injector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Dead Fuel Injector

Yeah, so I think I have a dead fuel injector on the #1 cylinder. I kinda noticed this since the idle was alittle different.

The spark plug looks a little damp when i pull it out after the engine has been running.
    There is spark.
    The compression is perfect.
    The fuel injector ohms out perfectly.
    But, when I "jump" the fuel injector with the battery, I don't get a click.

I've tried tapping the fuel injector with a screwdriver, with no success.

I guess I will just have to pull the whole fuel rail and see whats up. Just my luck. More FUN!!!

I should probably send another MB injector off to be cleaned and flowtested, if I will need to replace this one.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

poke the pintle with a wood kebab skewer, if it moves in and out freely then the solenoid should be able to open it fine, if it clicks or doesn't want to then it's varnished

Comment

if you do push the pintle, it is highly recommended to take off the pintle cap and push straight down on a flat surface. If the force is at all at an angle, it is VERY easy to damage it enough to render the injector out of spec.

Comment

I just got done pulling it out and seeing what was up. Luckily it was #1 injector so all I had to do was loosen the fuel rail and cut a couple hoses, instead of having to pull the whole plenum.

At first, I tried tapping the pintle, but it wouldn't budge. So, I started tapping it upside down and a bunch of sh*t came out. So, I sprayed some Carb Cleaner in the hole and tapped it upside down again. This time more sh*t came out along with the spray, now a rusty color. Sprayed and tapped some more, until it come clean and then tried to tap the pintle again. It now moved. I hooked it up to the battery and I got that clicking sound that I was looking for. 5 minutes later, it was back into the engine. The engine runs perfectly now, especailly with 30 more hp.

I guess some water got into the lines and pooled in the injector long enough to seize it, or the injector cleaning company didnt as good as a job as I had hopped.

If it still gives me trouble, I can just swap it out with the three spare MB injectors I have lying around.
        Attached Files
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

You might as well clean the rest, as I doubt that only one injector has gunk in it. Fix it before it causes problems. Remember, running lean under boost is bad.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
          X