so im understanding this correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so im understanding this correctly

Ok, I have an 87 n/a that I am helping a friend do the turbo conversion in and its my understanding that all turbo ecu's will work, correct? The build date of the car is 1/87 and the turbo came form a 5/85 car, so the bungs should be the same? Also, the donor car had no ECU in it so, we are on the hunt for one and just to be sure i dont need the 88-89 ecu I posted this here. peace.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

an 84-85 turbo ECU will work just fine, until you decide to start tuning the Z.

I would suggest that you get an 88-89 NA ECU and put a stock Z32TT tune on it, since the compression ratios between your NA engine and the Z32TT are closer to each other than that of the Z31 NA and turbo engines.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

The main concern is that the turbo ecu you choose uses the same type of o2 sensor you already have. Since the turbo will have the bung for the zirconium sensor you will want a 84-85t ecu like Bemis said. You could also swap bungs and use the titania sensor (newer turbo ecus) with some slight wiring modifications. As far as upgrading in the future go with the 88-89 ecu if you can.

And....
      bemis wrote:

I would suggest that you get an 88-89 NA ECU and put a stock Z32TT tune on it, since the compression ratios between your NA engine and the Z32TT are closer to each other than that of the Z31 NA and turbo engines.
      First, I think thats a bit complicated for most people and its probably a bit past his current goals. Second, swapping in a z32 map probably isnt going to do you any more good than lowering the timing at the distributor. Let's keep it simple for now.

Comment

i just want to make sure i'm reading stuff correctly.. you guys get me worried sometimes.

i have an 85NA.

i swapped the 88-89 NA computer in with resistors of course.

the O2 sensors are the same. my mileage hasn't changed much with the new computer, but it seems to have a lot more power.

right?

i have the turbo 85' O2 sensor lying around as well.

Comment

84z31 wrote: i swapped the 88-89 NA computer in with resistors of course.

the O2 sensors are the same. my mileage hasn't changed much with the new computer, but it seems to have a lot more power.

right?
          I'll second that. I have a lot more power with my 88 NA ECU. I thought it was just because my early ECU was dying. I'm not sure if O2 works at full throttle but I assume it doesnt. Right now I'm running a MBZ used O2 sensor and it swept correctly with the old ecu but i haven't checked with the new one. I figured they all worked the same. It sounds like were both asking: Both sensors Function the same way, just the connectors are different? Right?

Comment

As far as I know there are two types of O2 sensors in Z31s. The most common is the Zirconium (sp?) type. This is what's in most cars. This sensor outputs a 0-1v signal and has a ground wire, heater wire, and signal wire. The second type is the Titania (sp?) type. This type of sensor gets an input voltage and outputs a 0-1v signal. The Titania sensor uses a power wire, ground wire, and signal wire.

Now here's the important part. Based on my experience with ecu swaps, you must use the type of o2 sensor that the ecu you are using was designed to use originally. Theres something in the ecu that doesnt like the wrong sensor. As far as the wiring harness you can use either sensor but you will need to modify the connector and possibly one or two wires to get things right.

As far as which sensor came in which car I think theres already some info floating around.

Comment

that might explain the blinking red and green lights then. back to the drawing board...

Comment

mine works fine. no codes for me. :lol:

Comment

I just checked it and the O2 sweeps fine. It actually begins at a lower temperature than the old ECU. My car is missing a lot of smog and idle control parts so that could be it. I'll check codes later. Sorry if I thread-jacked.

Comment

yeah, i ripped all the smog crap off. all i have to do to get my upper plenuim off now is remove the piping, two grounds, the cover, 2 vacuum lines, and the cables. i can change mine in about 10 minutes now. :lol:

Comment

Working...
                    X