resistors and o2 troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceramis is smaller isn't it?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: Can a use ceramic resistors instead of wirewound? the radio shak here has some, but he says they are not wirewound, they are ceramic...

does this matter?
      My lord. The kinds of people radio shack hires these days.

Types of resistor materials (I learned this in my BASIC electronics class a while back, there may be more I am missing):
      Wirewound
      Carbon comp or film
      Metal films or oxides
      Cermet
      Phenolic

Wirewound resistors are usually wrapped aorund a ceramic core, and then encased in ceramic. This is because they are a cheap way of making a high-current resistor that can handle a little heat...

Now I've heard of people calling a variable resistor a ceramic resistor... but the ceramic component is hardly the resistive element, it's only the casing. In my thinking it would be something like calling a blender a box, simply because it is packaged in a box.

Comment

isn't the ceramic there so the thinner peice of metal inside can't break?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Thanks for the input. I haven't had any formal education on electronics. Maybe the make a "....for Dummies" book on electrics that I pick up. I called RadioShack several times yesterday, talking to different people. I got three different stories, none of them gave me good news, but one at least knew something about what he was talking about. So i went on down town this morning on a parts run and discovered 10w-10ohm wirewound resisters plain as day. They do have a ceramic cover like you said, and are much larger than those you used in you write-up. I don't guess it matters, just as long has the same resaulting effect on the current. I'll wire them in in a couple days. I think the engine will go back in tomorrow. Crossmember is in place, and the engine is ready for the clutch to go on. Everything now is reconstruction. Thanks for the help everybody, I appologies for the stupid questions...
          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Ideally you want a non-inductive resistor. The added inductance just slows down the current the injector (also an inductive load) sees.
            http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

there are also baked aluminum-ceramic composites, they can be very strong and resist current

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X