resistors and o2 troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resistors and o2 troubles

Why do you have to wire injectors to pre-campaign before installing the 10w resisters? I was hoping i wouldn't have to do this. I don't think i'll have any trouble with the resistor thing.

What has me worried is though is this o2 situation. I have the non-dual-feed injectors, and so i probably have the Zirconium o2 sensor. The owner of this 88ss had, apparently, the wrong o2 sensor. I haven't gone and looked for sure at the o2, but i'm betting it's a 22mm Zirc. And i'm betting there are no resisters on the wires in the old car. I'll make sure tomorrow. I don't know how long he had the car running like this. What will the car do with the wrong o2? just run rich all the time, no? As if it had a worn out o2? or what? Furthermore, what do i need to do if i have the wrong o2? Just run new wires from the o2 to the correct pins on the ecu? I'm in up to my eyeballs now.

Edit:
    Since i have the 87na ecu, i could just swap the PROM chip into it out of the 88T ECU. How hard is this to do and how to go about doing this?
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Just run in open loop. So pretty much rich on the low end

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

What are the drawbacks? I thought the ECU depended mostly on the MAS/AFM for it's fuel info, so not having the o2 to tell it rich/lean wouldn't be a big deal?

I know i'll have a pretty huge drop in gas mileage, but since i'm going to be catless the the black specs on my bumper won't break my heart. How big of a drop in mpg would you predict? I'm sure there are other comlications to running open loop. I plan to ammend this problem, it just might be a while to get it done.

Assuming i can get a Titania bung put into place, what wires on the ECU plug need to be moved and where to make the 87na harness accept an 88t titania o2 sensor?

Comment

I still get good decent gas mileage ~24 on freeway. Pretty sure it is needed to go into closed loop

What I have learned, at least for OBD2 are the three T's. Time, Tempature, and toggle (O2).

Comment

so i take it MrwassmanNA2T, you are running without a functional o2 sensor? 24 is acceptable for freeway travel. I just didn't want to be getting like 10 mpg or something. If I want to save fuel i'll drive slow. High schoolers usually have nothing to hurry for. Accept this week of course. If there are no other significant drawbacks to running with no fuctional o2 sensor, then i'll just go without.

Comment

Other than normal problem of running rich. Make sure you wind up the engine every now and then so the plugs clean them selves and dont foul out.
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I shouldn't have any trouble winding it up every now and then

Too bad it isn't the other way around, rich up high instead of down low.

And what is every now and then? Like once a week or once every ten minutes? A bit of a dumb question, but i'm a dumb guy some days, hah.

Comment

Resistor question....
                I would've liked to just order them from JWT, since then i know i'll get the right thing, but i'd like to get them asap, and they aren't open for the holidays. So i'm planning on scoring a set from Digi-key. Can somebody confirm that these are the resistors i need?

digi-key part # 20J7R5E-ND

http://www.digikey.com

I suppose i could run with no resistors untill jwt opens back up, but i don't want to risk nuking my ecu.

Comment

Doesn't radioshack sell resisters?

*edit* Oh, and i thought my iridiums would be fouled as hell but they were perfect.

Comment

Resistor question....
                    I would've liked to just order them from JWT, since then i know i'll get the right thing, but i'd like to get them asap...
                    just get them from radioshak then.
                    Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

For some reason, the '81 Turbo ECCS had resistors installed stock so I just plug in a resistor bypass when I run the '84 Turbo ECCS and plug the resistor pack back in for an '88 N/A ECU.

Interestingly, I noticed no difference in performance when I left the resistor pack in with the '84 Turbo ECU. I guess it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
                      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
                      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
                      "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

SupSay Z wrote: just get them from radioshak then.
                        Yeah, i would love too. Unfortunatly a called them a couple hours ago and they said they didn't have any 10w resisters that were between 6 and 10 ohms. I thought of that too...

Comment

280Z Turbo wrote: For some reason, the '81 Turbo ECCS had resistors installed stock so I just plug in a resistor bypass when I run the '84 Turbo ECCS and plug the resistor pack back in for an '88 N/A ECU.

Interestingly, I noticed no difference in performance when I left the resistor pack in with the '84 Turbo ECU. I guess it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
                          From my understanding, the resisters have no effect on the flow of the injectors. They are there to keep the circuts in the ECU from going fo-shizzle.

Has anybody actually fried an ECU from lack of resistors? just curious.

Comment

Can a use ceramic resistors instead of wirewound? the radio shak here has some, but he says they are not wirewound, they are ceramic...

does this matter?

Comment

The resistor pack on my '81 is ceramic.
                              1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
                              '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
                              "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

Working...
                              X