intake pipe air temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake pipe air temp

what would be the most cost effective way to measure intake temperature for a before/after intercooler project??

LM34 Resitor type tempature sensor
    180K ohm resistor
    9V battery
    DMM

At least that is my plan.

There is a thing somewere on the internet on how to make your own temp sensors. When i do it, if you have't done it, i will make a post.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

roasting thermoniter :lol:

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I have a craftsmen multimeter thats equipped with a temp probe ($20), and I also have a hobby style infared temp guage (duratrax brand $20). The thing is, they dont really measure charge temperature, just the temp of the piping, or whatever material you touch/point at.
        -Mike
        "produce first.talk second."

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: LM34 Resitor type tempature sensor
          180K ohm resistor
          9V battery
          DMM

At least that is my plan.

There is a thing somewere on the internet on how to make your own temp sensors. When i do it, if you have't done it, i will make a post.
          And once you have those things how does one go about cost effectivly reading what the temp is?

mcx-If you dont feel like making a sensor or anything complicated then you can just buy an air temp guage. Problem is you would A. need to buy two of them or B. buy one that comes with two probes and a single gauge that has two needles, one to read each probe. I was going to get one a while ago made by Westec (sp?) but then got to thinking, what does it matter if I know the temp, All I can do is get it as cold as I can with the knowledge and equipment that I have.

Or I just went the simple way and hooked up a whole stand alone and pluged in the laptop to see what my intake temp is. Extreemly simple and cost effective way of finding your intake temp :shock:
          Attached Files
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

For an accurate measurement, you will need to get it in the airstream.
            Tuck it in under the intercooler hose fittings enough so the tip is hanging in the middle of the pipe.
            Some thermocouple wires are very thin and will clamp between the hose and the pipe.
            Or poke one thru a hole in a hose junction. Seal the wire in place with some RTV.

Check out http://www.omega.com
            Here is a inexpensive DMM/thermometer on Ebay
            If you put a probe at the turbo/IC hose coupler and another one at the IC/TB coupler, the leads may be long enough
            (4.5 meters for this one) to run into the car to allow monitoring while driving.

I use similar Omega K-type thermocouples at work for water temp and/or beam dump monitoring.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

or go standalone that uses a map sensor and intake air temp sensor....lol. i totally agree with the romulator though, so until you guys figure it out....post it up!

Comment

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/com ... meter.html

that's what Wass is referring to

I am building one as well, yet less ghetto and a lot cooler and neater

it's cheap, too, a 5 pack of resistors was 2 bucks, wire is just as cheap, and I ordered 5 samples of the LM34DZ that is used in linked kit for 8.80

this should be fun, we will be using a few of these (we have like a half dozen DMMs at our place) to measure intake temps at the throttle or even maybe in the plenum, and also across the TMIC to see if it is actually doing anything that's going to be noticeable

Comment

The correct type of thermistor with a decent multimeter is a good approach but not everyone has access or money for that.

This might be a good technology to use...

http://www.lcr-usa.com/downloads/Therma ... tor_SS.pdf

Also this company...

http://www.t-m-c.com/IrreversibleLabels.html

An irreversible indicator would capture the max temp condition. These could be placed internally but I would not fasten them to the metal interior surface of the IC or other plumbing. I would use a strip of copper as a surface to stick them to and rig that to hang in the airstream (securely). Basically thermally isolating it and capturing the real boosted air temp.

These have sufficient accuracy for this type of thermal measurement. The ambient air temperature should also be noted at the same time. This is critical data.

Another company with pricing...

http://www.telatemp.com/tagsLabels2/tl_ ... Labels.asp
                  Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Andrevas wrote: http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/com ... meter.html

that's what Wass is referring to

I am building one as well, yet less ghetto and a lot cooler and neater

it's cheap, too, a 5 pack of resistors was 2 bucks, wire is just as cheap, and I ordered 5 samples of the LM34DZ that is used in linked kit for 8.80

this should be fun, we will be using a few of these (we have like a half dozen DMMs at our place) to measure intake temps at the throttle or even maybe in the plenum, and also across the TMIC to see if it is actually doing anything that's going to be noticeable
                    His will be cooler and less ghetto and neater than mine...

That isn't built yet....

That he has no idea of what mine will look like at all :lol:

ROFL

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Using the LM34 Differential Mode (fig 20 page 11 of the pdf sheet) would be a good start.

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/com ... _works.pdf

It just needs a differential amplifier and would give you the primary piece of information; that is, the amount of heat 'scrubbed' by the intercooling. Its a very neat solution and when used with a multimeter with a Min/Max feature, captures the vital info.

If one were to mount pressure sensors at these same points, to read the boost, we would have two of the three elements of PV=nRT.

Rearranged, V=nRT/P, or V=T/P

We could then have a good sense of the Q, or Quality Factor, of the system.

It would be interesting to have two MAFs, one before and one after all intercooling. It would fill in the rest of the equation.
                      Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv ... l/nv29.pdf

A step up from the 'toys' website.

The output can run into a analog to digital converter and then displayed. Perhaps on a palm-pilot for a neat project.

NOTE: If using any of these integrated circuits to measure the boosted air temp, it would also need some sort of conductive metal like copper as a 'heat-sink'. The copper is really just capturing the real boosted air temp and not actually cooling anything.

The device must not touch the metal of the intercooler itself. That would actually be a different reading than what you are measuring.
                        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: For an accurate measurement, you will need to get it in the airstream.
                          Tuck it in under the intercooler hose fittings enough so the tip is hanging in the middle of the pipe.
                          Some thermocouple wires are very thin and will clamp between the hose and the pipe.
                          Or poke one thru a hole in a hose junction. Seal the wire in place with some RTV.

Check out http://www.omega.com
                          Here is a inexpensive DMM/thermometer on Ebay
                          If you put a probe at the turbo/IC hose coupler and another one at the IC/TB coupler, the leads may be long enough
                          (4.5 meters for this one) to run into the car to allow monitoring while driving.

I use similar Omega K-type thermocouples at work for water temp and/or beam dump monitoring.
                          I used two of the above themocouples for my tests and a DMM that only did temp measurements of min, max, and the difference of the two signals. It was easy to get the wire in the airstream, and just re-tighten the clamps on my intercooler setup. Had all the data I cared for with setup and tear down in about an hour.
                          Attached Files
                          1984 NA to T Digi-Dash, Morgan's Cam Gears @ -3, Team Green Air Filter, Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Boost Controller, Greddy Type RS BOV, CM 3" Down Pipe, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and Maxima E-Fans.

1984 NA 2+2 - New Project Solid Axle Rear - Former Best 1/4 mile 13.452 @105.77mph.

Comment

I use a fluke K-type thermocouple " temperature probe " with my 88V. The only complaints I have is the thermocouple cable is too short, and there is at least a full second delay from any real temperature change.
                            Attached Files

Comment

thx for replies/info...what range of temperature readings were recorded with your meters??before and/or after intercooling..thx,mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X