running lean here and there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running lean here and there

I havent checked a whole lot yet and I know I have a little intake leak but this problem comes and goes. I have a 1985 turbo engine and it idles up high 15 af and when just trotting around in second and third it almost feels like its studdering back and fourth and my af goes from 14 to 16 when I feel it. When boosting and stuff it feels ok but when at idle and putting around it goes high, today the wideband read LEAN when I looked down at a stop light.

I just went for another drive and when I sit at the light it slowly starts going to lean. when about 2000 rpms it starts climbing also. if I let it sit and idle it keeps rising also.

Comment

i had a similar problem . i swapped out the afm and it was fixed....

Comment

First, what kind of AFR meter are you using? If its not a wideband, disregard everything that it tells you.

otherwise, your AFRs sound about right. At idle, you will run lean. That's called fuel economy. At cruising, you will run lean, since it only takes about 30hp to move constantly down the road. The fuel map suggest a AFR of 13 - 14 in the cruising area.
        Attached Files
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

i am running a plx m300 wideband. it just starts climbing then the studdering thing happens. will it throw up codes for the afm? if it is going bad?

Comment

hmm, yes you should run the ECCS codes and see if it shoots out something.

Oh, and fix your vaccum leak!!!!
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

bemis wrote: Oh, and fix your vaccum leak!!!!
              That was my first though. "and I know I have a little intake leak but this problem comes and goes". You already know what the problem is.

General rules of thumb:
              -If you think it could be broke then it probably is, fix it before it breaks other things.
              -If it seems like it could cause a problem it will cause 2 problems.
              -Start with the obvious or the "simple" things first, they are usually the problem.
              -If its broke and you know it then fix it. Don't mess with things that aren't broke right now. Wait until later...when you know it was you that caused the problem.
              -If it isn't broke then leave it alone. (performance exceptions apply)
              -If it wasnt broke and you touch it...well you probably just broke it and you have to start back at the top. :wink:
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I need a new tb then cause my tb shaft on the throttle cable side is where i seen it leaking.

Comment

Working...
                X