Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What plug gap do you run?

`

You know what's strange is I have been encountering the same problem, but only at higher boosts (22-24PSI) and about 6300RPM it starts to break up bad enough to really lose power. I tried playing around with fueling and timing at the 6K and 6.5K tp points but was unable to change the behavior for the better. Spark voltage is probbaly the issue because it never does this at lower boosts, at 16PSI it pulls straight to 7K with not a single noticable miss. I normally gapped BCPR7ES-11's to .028, but I changed that a few days ago to ~.024 and noted no change. I am still running a stock Z31 coil which is supposed to be as good as most performance aftermarket coils... I was going to go through the ignition system as well as replace the plugs with new in a couple weeks; my 87T has an MSD 6A box and coil on it that I could install on my car without too much hassle. If anything including the 6A ends up fixing the problem then I'll let you know, but for now it seems that we are in the same boat! If the MSD does fix the issue, then I suppose they're a worthwhile investment, at over 400rwhp at least ;-)

Comment

what about running 2 coils in parallel, might be fun getting the split back together though, maybe use a screw block with dowels and extra plug wires?

since the coil itself can charge quickly enough to fire the car even at 7k rpm at lower power, there's no reason to think that having 2 coils won't be able to boost spark output

Comment

nah I'm sure it's just that you guys have no idea what you are doing when it comes to timing maps :P hehe

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
        1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
        1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
        2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
        2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

where the hell did you get 8-range NGK's?
          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

`

Comment

UPDATE

`

Comment

I noticed this same problem at 20+ psi but the only remedy was...

new wires and new plugs

I was using the Blue NGK 8mm kit which had a 1 year free replacement policy, and they always seemed to die at around 10months, or 2-3K miles

and the plugs needed to be changed every other tank of fuel, even if they looked good, they weren't

BCPR7ES gapped to .024"
                MSD6a
                Accell coil rated at 50,000volts for Hei replacement

yeah, real pain in the ass, but was my only real solution
                used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

I had the problem at 18+ psi when my plugs were gapped to stock. I gapped them down to 25 and had no problems after that. Stock Pathy wires dizzy, stock z31 ignition. megasquirt.
                  BLOZ UP.com
                  It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

Ken in AZ wrote: I noticed this same problem at 20+ psi but the only remedy was...

new wires and new plugs

I was using the Blue NGK 8mm kit which had a 1 year free replacement policy, and they always seemed to die at around 10months, or 2-3K miles

and the plugs needed to be changed every other tank of fuel, even if they looked good, they weren't
                    Wow... thanks for the input ken. Sounds about like I have now... ~9K on the wires and about 14K on the plugs, but stock ignition. Suppose I'll swap both and see, and save my recipt from sparkplugs.com this time!

Comment

I run about .26 (i believe) at 12 psi with good results. When I first got the car it had .32(again, I think so anyways) and would get choppy. I have just the standard ngk v grooved plugs and "stock" replacement wires
                      1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
                      1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Wow... thanks for the input ken. Sounds about like I have now... ~9K on the wires and about 14K on the plugs, but stock ignition. Suppose I'll swap both and see, and save my recipt from sparkplugs.com this time!
                        yeah, apparently the vg30e eats plugs at that power level, I learned this from the really high HP supra guys, after trolling around their site to find out what they do after 500hp for ignition i found out they have the same problem. actually I think almost all vehicles at that power level and up tend to eat plugs within reason

Another big thing is to reduce the length of the coil wire to distributor. this will allow more spark energy to reach the plugs...obviously
                        used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

hmm i wonder if anybody has ever tried finding some race plugs for our motors??? you know the ones without the litle thing that sticks out??? the flat kind....

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: hmm i wonder if anybody has ever tried finding some race plugs for our motors??? you know the ones without the litle thing that sticks out??? the flat kind....
                            Good lord... come on man!

Race plugs are available in all varieties, there is undoubtedly one to fit our engine. Most have shaved electrodes and lack a noise canceling resistor so they are not well suited to street use!

Comment

just remember jason, YOU invited him heh

Comment

Working...
                              X