ECU not coming on (need help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU not coming on (need help)

I was tuning the car after swaping to a blow through MAF setup, when the car suddenly died. There is no fuel, no spark, Little green and red lights on the ECU are not coming on.

I checked all the fuses and found one blown... so I replaced it, but nothing changed.

The fuel pump comes on, but there is no spark and the injectors are not firing. MAF is getting no voltage, and I don't think the coil is either. The ECU is getting voltage and turning on the fuel pump though, but it does not cycle the fuel pump. If the key is on, the fuel pump is on. It does not turn off after 5 seconds or whatever it is suposed to do. Weird.

The ECU is 100% fine. I ran another car off of it. There is nothing on the ECU's board that is fried or burned. It is fine.

I found two pretty serious problems when I inspected the car. A wire from the MAF (black with white stripe) was melted by the exhaust manifold and the wires were exposed, and a small amount of fuel had leaked onto the distributor connector (4 pin connector to the ECU)

Would the CAS have shorted out if fuel had leaked into it's connector? Is there a main relay that powers up all the sensors that could have gone bad while I was drving? What else could possibly cause this? I'm thinking CAS, as a bad one would cause all of these problems minus the lights on the ECU not coming on.
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

z

Comment

doesn't look like it is the fusible link... I swapped it out with another one. At this point, I have no idea what the hell is wrong.
      86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

z

Comment

How do I swap those? One side un-plugs, but the other is a wire stuck in that box.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: How do I swap those? One side un-plugs, but the other is a wire stuck in that box.
            There is a small peice of plastic you have to take out (i think it is clearish white), and then they are just spade connectors that pull right out.

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF

Comment

about to get a car with similar reported problems. not going to jump to conclusions as I will troubleshoot myself. but..... what causes the fusable links to go bad? as the car I am after has 69000 original miles on it. (I know that is not necessarily relevant but still)

Comment

casner wrote: about to get a car with similar reported problems. not going to jump to conclusions as I will troubleshoot myself. but..... what causes the fusable links to go bad? as the car I am after has 69000 original miles on it. (I know that is not necessarily relevant but still)
                I had one pop on me a while ago and never figured out what made it go bad. just happens some times. Thats why they are there though, fail safe.
                85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

it was the fusible link closest to the battery. Happened when I shorted a MAF wire.

Comment

Working...
                  X