Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug wire test question...

Hi Guys,

I was testing my spark wires last night. And I have a question about the resistance. My multimeter has OHMS read settings for 20, 2000, 2k, 20k, 200k and 2000k. I had my multimeter set to measure on "20 K".

My readings were roughly as follows:

1- 2.8
    2- 3.0
    3- 5.7
    4- 2.5
    5- 6.5
    6- 3.2

Now my question is on the "20 K" scale does this mean 25000, 30000 etc? or does it mean 2500, 3000 etc?

If so this would mean my #3 and #5 cylinders would be way out of spec, at almost double the NISSAN 30,000 spec.

I just am dumb this morning, and want to be sure that Im thinking straight.

Can someone confirm my suspicions that I have a couple of bad wires?

And for the record they are NGK wires about 1.5 years old.

Thanks!
    84' 300ZX Turbo / '86 300ZX NA to Turbo (Retired)

if there only a year 1/2 old, i wouldn't worry about them

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

wire resistance is measured in ohms per meter or mm.. it looks to me like the longer wires have more resistance.. i bet if you did the math you would find that the resistances are all within range.. i doubt you have a plug wire problem.. by the way, this is a mechanical question, not an engine management question.

Comment

CONSTRUCTION

A ferrite magnetic layer consisting of a mixture of rubber, plastic and powdered ferrite magnetic materials, offers uniform resistance and unsurpassed conductivity. NGK wires have a lower resistance than conventional carbon core wires (8k ohm/meter vs. 16k ohm/meter). This comparison is important to remember when you consider that many manufacturers recommend wires be replaced when the resistance exceeds 20k ohm/meter. This does not leave much margin for wear when the wire may only meet original standards at the very early stages of its life.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/c ... country=US

They seem to be in spec. To answer your question directly, they are reading kohms.

Edit: This is a mechanical question? No.
        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I figured out my readings. There are all between 0 and 7,000 Ohms.

Yes this topic should have been in the Mech section. This post can be removed or moved if needed.

Cheers!
          84' 300ZX Turbo / '86 300ZX NA to Turbo (Retired)

Comment

Last time I checked resistance, voltage, current, spark are not mechanical.
            Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Working...
            X