Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any accurate way to calculate K-value for stock L28ET?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any accurate way to calculate K-value for stock L28ET?

I'm wondering how different my K-value should be from the VG30ET's. I'm running an '89 Turbo map right now, I believe.

It runs fine, but it would be nice if there was some way to calculate it for sure. The 200cc smaller displacement probably makes it run a little rich.
    1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
    '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
    "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

the K is based on the size of the injectors and the afm. if you have a z31 computer with z31 afm and injectors then a stock K value will be fine. the computer doesnt care how big the displacement is when calculating fuel, it only cares how much air the engine is sucking in and how much fuel the injectors spit out. .

Comment

That makes sense, but Jason seems to think it ought to be leaned for the 2.8.

Maybe he'll see this thread and justify his reasoning.
      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues

Comment

280Z Turbo wrote: That makes sense, but Jason seems to think it ought to be leaned for the 2.8.

Maybe he'll see this thread and justify his reasoning.
        im sure he has a legitimate reason for saying that. he has said over and over that he believes that any changes to the mechanics of an engine should be accounted for in the program. i just dont see how the K value would be changed in this situation. i could understand significant changes to the fuel and timing maps, but not to the K. i hope he does chime in on this thread, engine management is the most interesting forum here, and as always he has a lot to contribute.

Comment

The L28ET and VG30ET are remarkably similar. They have the same turbo, similar design, similar tuning, and they lose power at about the same point too.

My car runs way better on the '84 300ZXT system than the '81 280ZXT system. The '89 Turbo tune is even better yet! The maps themselves don't need to be changed for the L28ET.
          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Comment

280Z Turbo wrote: The L28ET and VG30ET are remarkably similar. They have the same turbo, similar design, similar tuning, and they lose power at about the same point too.

My car runs way better on the '84 300ZXT system than the '81 280ZXT system. The '89 Turbo tune is even better yet! The maps themselves don't need to be changed for the L28ET.
            thats good to know.. ive always wanted to use z31 efi in a 70-78 car.. ive read about the basics of the swap (cas, z31 afm etc...) what sources did you use when you did your swap? i cant imagine it being that hard but it would be nice to see other peoples experiences.. by the way, do you have a wideband on your car? if you have a wideband and just go through jasons procedure for finding a K value, you could see where you are at pretty easily.. disable the O2s, set the fuel map to an equal value and log..

now that i think about it, the motors are very similar.. after having both of them apart at different times i am going back through my pictures.. the chambers are very similar, and even the ports.. the only thing that always bugged me about those motors is that the heads are not crossflow.. the whole left side of the motor is all jumbled up and the right side is just a big empty space. anyways, good luck with the project

Comment

I posted a thread on my experience here: http://redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... =1981+eccs

I used Afshin's write-up on Hybrid Z and then filled in the blanks from there.

It would be almost as easy to do it on an L28E (N/A) car if got a 280ZXT harness.

The non crossflow head does make for easy spark plug access! I can have mine out in a minute or two (which came in handy with the 1981 EFI setup!).
              1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo

Comment

Working...
              X