haltech standalone? good or bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haltech standalone? good or bad

I am contemplating buying an 88t with a haltech system already installed. Is it good or bad? I am assuming that it would be better than the romulator route. Does it have any hiccups? I haven't seen a write up about it in a while.

Haltechs are bad ass. They are the "affordable" stand alone, but offer a great deal of flexibility as far as tuning goes. It will be better than having a romulator or nistune, because it uses a speed-density system instead of a MAF.
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

If it does have any hicups it is not because of the Haltech. It would be because of the program that was made to run the car. User error, not the machines fault. Yes MAP sensors FTW.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

zmainiac wrote: I am contemplating buying an 88t with a haltech system already installed. Is it good or bad? I am assuming that it would be better than the romulator route. Does it have any hiccups? I haven't seen a write up about it in a while.
        are you looking at peymans old car? he had a white 88t with a haltech. he was in NJ

Comment

Yeah I think so. It has a 3.3, t3/t4 turbo. Some other guy supposedly mailed a check out to him yesterday. so we'll see. 2500 but the engine needs pistons? its sorta shady but I could swap an engine pretty easily.

Comment

Depends on the model.. the two most common:
            E6K or similar - very nice
            E11V2 - the absolute pimp shit

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: Haltechs are bad ass. They are the "affordable" stand alone, but offer a great deal of flexibility as far as tuning goes. It will be better than having a romulator or nistune, because it uses a speed-density system instead of a MAF.
              I would not attempt to claim one system is better than the other. There's a reason many companies use them both (MAF and MAP), with speed density metering only as a backup system to the mass airflow.

Comment

zmainiac wrote: Yeah I think so. It has a 3.3, t3/t4 turbo. Some other guy supposedly mailed a check out to him yesterday. so we'll see. 2500 but the engine needs pistons? its sorta shady but I could swap an engine pretty easily.
                yea, thats him.. not sure whats up with the pistons, but let me tell you about that car.. it may not look the cleanest or most organized under the hood, but peyman is fucking smart man.. he knew his shit. everything will be done properly on that car.. i hope you get it..

Comment

susposedly this guy has been giving him the run around. He has said that the check is in the mail a couple of times. If it doesn't come by friday I guess that it is mine. I have the right 88t computer for my 86 to go the romulator/nistune route so its not a big deal if It doesn't go through. He said that the boost spiked on him and now the car smokes. Low compression in 2 of the cylinders. I was planning on getting a 3.3 and bigger turbo. this would save me some money but I kinda want to build the one that I have. What years do the pathfinders come with the 3.3?

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                    Originally posted by StreetFighter
                    Haltechs are bad ass. They are the "affordable" stand alone, but offer a great deal of flexibility as far as tuning goes. It will be better than having a romulator or nistune, because it uses a speed-density system instead of a MAF.
                    I would not attempt to claim one system is better than the other. There's a reason many companies use them both (MAF and MAP), with speed density metering only as a backup system to the mass airflow.
                    This is true also. Any time you make a volumetric efficiency change to the engine of any kind you should reprogram the stand alone that runs a map sensor. On a MAF car it pretty much takes care of the additional mods by its self, to an extent.

However, I would choose a MAP over a MAF anyday. But that is because I am in the search of big horspower. this is usually where MAF's get in the way. It CAN be done, just not as easily.
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I am from philly in a past life, and I have met peyman and took some seat time in that car. I know he sold it to someone, and if it's fucked up now, it's their fault. He had that thing running nice. Seat of pants he was hitting 325-350 with a pretty mild setup that he made reliable for daily driving on pump fuel. Peyman knew his shit, I wish he would have stuck around. You now have to deal with whatever f'd up tuning the new owner did, but I will vouch that the setup was setup right. He had logging with the lm-1 and all kinds of cool setup on that thing.

You can do well to rebuild that motor and retune it
                      "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

Yeah, I am pretty sure that it is another guy now. He put a bigger turbo on it an street tuned it. He said that he dynoed 390 whp at 10 psi. Its a t3/t4 hybrid so I don't think that it is possible on a stock 3.3. I would think that if you were taking it to a dyno you would get it tuned right. But, haltech,hybrid turbo, 88 hubs/calipers, new paint job, intercooler setup, 440cc injector setup, fuel pump, lsd, near rust free z for 2500 isn't bad. I hope that the other guy falls through. But I do still love my 86. we have been through soo much.

Comment

I'll vouch for Peyman being a pretty smart guy too. He did a lot of stuff to that car well before it was mainstream. And knew how it worked unlike a lot of people.
                          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Well, I am getting the car. It was peymans. I am stoked. I need to get a little info on where to get forged pistons. I will be on hear much more now.

Comment

zmainiac wrote: Well, I am getting the car. It was peymans. I am stoked. I need to get a little info on where to get forged pistons. I will be on hear much more now.
                              How about from a supporting vendor? :wink:
                              Chuck Stong
                              300+ Parts and Performance owner
                              http://www.300-plus.com
                              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                              X