Factory boost sensor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory boost sensor.

im looking for a cheap (ok, free) way to see my boost curve.. the stock boost sensor is basically a map sensor, correct? im sure it isnt accurate, and i wouldnt rely on it for datalogging actual pressure, but i dont really need that at this point.. what im interested in doing is plotting my boost pressure on a graph so i can actually see it and make adjustments on my EBC to dial out any creeping or high rpm drop off. has anyone played with this thing before? if i have some free time this weekend im gonna play with a mityvac and a multimeter and see what i can come up with. anyone have any thoughts?

What exactly are you looking for? You wanna be able to see the changes on you gauge cluster? That way you can adjust by looking at the same place as your RPM's? Hmm I guess that would depend if you have the analog or digital. Either way, you are just trying to see when it spikes or somthing? Do you not have a regular boost gauge? I guess I dont get what you are trying to do exactly. :?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: What exactly are you looking for? You wanna be able to see the changes on you gauge cluster? That way you can adjust by looking at the same place as your RPM's? Hmm I guess that would depend if you have the analog or digital. Either way, you are just trying to see when it spikes or somthing? Do you not have a regular boost gauge? I guess I dont get what you are trying to do exactly. :?
      i want to see boost represented on a graph.. picture a line graph with boost pressure (voltage output of the sensor) on the vertical and rpm or time on the horizontal.. the values are meaningless because im not using the information to make engine management changes.. i just want to see what the curve looks like.. if it spikes and drops off i can set the "set boost" differently.. if it climbs, levels off and then drops off at higher rpm there is another value i can adjust.. im not talking about what the sensor displays on the dash, im talking about logging its output with my LM1 and plotting a very basic graph of the boost curve.

in AFM cars a lot of people buy a MAP sensor with a known voltage-pressure scale and use that to datalog boost. im talking about seting up a simple version of this using the stock sensor for making EBC adjustments.

what im trying to ask i guess, is has anyone logged the output of the stock boost sensor. is there any reliability to it at all? is it even a 0-5 volt sensor? again, i dont expect it to be acurate like an actual MAP sensor, but is it acurate enough to give me a basic visual representation of my boost curve?

the bottom line here is im trying to make use of the adjustments on the EBC by using a better technique than simply watching the gauge while under boost.

Comment

I have looked at several and they are very much repeatable. I do not know how accurate the guage in the dash is but the sensor does show repeatability. If its repeatable, then it can be used for accuracy if that output can be correlated to a known vacuum calibration.
        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Bernard posted a map of a 280zxt boost sensor that can be used with the techedge widebands. I assume most logging software that accomodates configurable inputs would accept a similar map.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Stinky logged his with his LM1. Just configure the aux input and find reference voltages by testing... easy.

Comment

i just threw one of those away.

the garbage got picked up today. sorry i would have given it to you for free.

Comment

the stock boost sensor is reasonably accurate and linear.

When I made the very first edition of my digital boost gauge, two summers ago, it used the stock boost gauge. Newer versions have their own integrated boost sensor, of course.
                88ss, MegaSquirted.
                t3/t4 60-1 cold, stage 3 hot, FMIC
                450cc DSM injectors, walbro 255
                http://www.z-toys.com/ Boost gauge and MS info

Comment

It works just fine if you log it with the LM-1. I have mine setup with a voltage regulator to ensure a consistent input voltage to the sensor. I cant remember if its a 12v or 5v regulator but if you try supplying a voltage you can pick the right regulator to get a 0-5v signal for the lm-1. Once you have it wired up you will want to get a reliable boost gauge and a pressure regulated air supply. Using the gauge you will want to monitor the sensor output voltage vs. gauge psi reading to create a calibration map. Once you have that you can put it in the lm-1 software and it will log the sensor output as a psi. I would suggest making the calibration map for each sensor you use because ive had two sensors read different.

Comment

Working...
                  X