Selecting an aftermarket tachometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting an aftermarket tachometer?

After installing the MSD 6A, I have a non-functional tach... for the obvious reasons. For $50 you can buy the tach adapter to convert to a factory tach signal, or for $100 I can buy a supposedly more accurate (and less laggy in first and second gear maybe?) aftermarket tach. I'm really wondering if the aftermarket tach will really be any better or more precise than the stock tach with the converter from the MSD. IE is it even worth the extra $50?

I'm looking at this autometer unit:

I would want to mount it right in front of the factory tach, I think anywhere else looks pretty tacky. Opinions, suggestions?

Ive been considering the aftermarket tach as well, not because of a new ignition set up, but mainly for accuracy. Im not really into "bling" and all that. My boost gauge is an autogauge unit. Seems to work well. Ive heard that the factory Tach isnt very accurate, but Ive never known for sure. So is the factory unit really not so good? School me people!
    1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
    1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Shen_VG30ET wrote: My boost gauge is an autogauge unit. Seems to work well.
      I used that exact same gauge before "upgrading" to the actual autometer-branded unit when I installed the a-pillar pod unit. They are still autometer, you're just not paying for the name. Believe it or not, it was actually more accurate at 15PSI than my new fancy autometer is. The new one says a little over 18PSI when the MAP sensor on the dyno was reading 15.8PSI at the same time. You have to wonder what the deviation is between the units they produce.

Comment

thats interesting to know. I thought it was like you said, slightly different look and name but function the same. Guess I'll stick with the autogauge for the time being.

Comment

Just a little info, the tach adaptor is not that great. There is a small diode in the wiring that constantly goes bad if you make a wrong vibration is seems. Nothing but a pain in the ass when I installed it on Mike88T's Z.

Comment

gage accuracy

Actually, small gages like the 2,1/16 gages are not accurate at all. They are normally within 3 percent though. But that is only at midscale. The ends of the scale are usually 5 percent. I know because I calibrate those types of gages all the time. Smaller you go the less accurate with a mechanical gage. Also, there are no adjustments in those gages. I have taken one of the small Autometer Phantoms apart to find the adjustements but there are none there. So if linearity is off then it is off...

Comment

How about this? They don't look bad, include a mounting cup and for $40 shipped it's a deal (autometer from summit comes to a little over $110).

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: How about this? They don't look bad, include a mounting cup and for $40 shipped it's a deal (autometer from summit comes to a little over $110).

Id do it, but thats just me

Comment

After spending another hour looking online I got fed up with seeing wall-clock tachs that go to 10K RPM. Settled on the Autometer (Autogage) 2302. They are the same as the 2300 except for having a cool little integrated shift light, so I don't need to epoxy a flashlight to my dash to know when I need to shift! :roll:

$70 on ebay.

Comment

Just got it today. Works very well; not laggy like the stock tach and the integrated shift lite is very cool. For only a little more than the silly tach adapter, this thing rocks!

Comment

reviving an old thread here...

I've ordered a shift light from raptor; where did you splice into to get a signal for your tach?
                      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

so jason, why not go the last little bit and do a custom dash ?

Comment

I would want something besides an analog moving guage.

My preference would be a a two digit type digital readout and a bar graph that might have 250 rpm increments.

As far as accuracy; why do people post and talk about accuracy WHILE NEVER POSTING A SPEC!!!???
                          Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

You connect the tach signal wire to the negative on the factory coil or to the tach terminal on the side of the MSD6A
                            Shiro #443

Comment

crowbar wrote: I would want something besides an analog moving guage.

My preference would be a a two digit type digital readout and a bar graph that might have 250 rpm increments.

As far as accuracy; why do people post and talk about accuracy WHILE NEVER POSTING A SPEC!!!???
                              you'd need a really long bar graph to distinguish 256 points by eye, and aside from precision all you're suggesting is a deluxe version of the space invaders dash people already have in z31's and maximas and such

also you're bitching about accuracy again, lag would have a huge impact on that even if it's 100% properly calibrated within .5% .... you could still be behind the curve and therefore very wrong.... it's a good possibility most complaints of inaccuracy are related to either sensor and/or guage lag

but don't listen to me you have all the fancy iso testing equipment, why don't you test them all and get back to us

Comment

Working...
                              X