MSD 6A and Blaster SS coil installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD 6A and Blaster SS coil installed

I'm still not convinced these things are worth the money, but mine was free as it came on my 87T :-D

I did notice a small difference in low end power, and I should be able to tell if it made any difference in fuel economy when I drive to the other side of the state this weekend.

I built a little mounting plate for it out of 1/4" 6061 aluminum (it's super strong! LOL). Currently only the MSD, boost control solenoid and power transistor are mounted to the plate, but I left room for future additions should I decide to get them (tach adapter and 2-step perhaps?). I cushioned the entire plate by placing some small rubber bushings under it, so shock and vibrations won't be an issue.

The coil is mounted to a stock coil bracket which I cut and drilled to fit the Blaster SS coil.

Edit: Another pic.

Nice plate. I basically made the same one out of crappy sheet metal.

Comment

let us know how the mileage is with that installed. Ive always heard the claims but you know how that goes.
      1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
      1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

I really like the plate, looks clean. I was trying to jam my crane into the same spot and ran into too many problems due to the excessive size of the PS91 coil and the Hi-6 has a rev limit with the controls that would be too hard to reach there. I need to re-configure it, because I see it as the next potential cause of efan and radiator failure. I might just wire the screws so it cant vibrate off the crossmember. As for results, I ran a MSD before and found it mostly helped with low speed/hi torque and under boost to help spark not blow out. I found the stocker worked just as well. I am not sure whether I want to keep the hi-6 hooked up, before I just ran the stock with a blaster coil and worked great. The crane was free here too, so you just use it.

Plate is sweet.
        "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

I agree -- i installed one on my '78 porsche 924 and found that the increases were minimal and only in the bottom end. It did help a bit with spark consistancy at higher rpm in that motor, but barely. Those engines ran soo bloody rich because of the constant flow reed-valve injectors so i think that's why it helped with misfire. However, bang for the buck for horsepower -- i wouldn't do it again unless i was under a lot of boost.
          8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
          eagle rods
          t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
          38 mm external wastegate
          mild port/polish
          3 angle valve job
          custom intercooler piping
          twin external intakes with z32 maf
          rad moved back
          3" exhaust with only a resonator
          romulator
          420cc injectors
          custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
          walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

Just curious, Im sticking with the stock unit, but has anyone tried the Jacobs upper end unit? Completely different application but I ran an MSD and tossed it in the closest dumpster after I installed the Jacobs ignition on my old truck. The difference was amazing. I got more out of that engine than it could handle mechanically for a while. It was one scary 4 banger 4x4 until I sold it. Damn I wish I hadn't sold it.

The Jacobs ignition was much more reliable/predictable than the MSD in that truck. The MSD was completely unreliable and inconsistent for me.

Like I said just curious and throwing it out there....
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
            X