Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resister question and concern

so,

i recently fried my computer in my 85. i had an 88 NA computer with the 10 ohm dropping resistors in place in my car.

i'm thinking that the resistors didn't do any good. i usually just ran the motor up to 5500 rpm. but that week i had hit the rev limiter on two different days.

i had never had a problem with the car or computer before.

i'm thinking my computer fried due to the difference in factory injectors and computers.

has anyone else had this happen.

i'm thinking if you swap the computer you should swap injectors as well.

i'm going back to an 85 computer and see if i hit the rev limiter if it kills another computer. just for curiosities sake.

perhaps it was the wiring harness itself

Comment

i don't think the harness has any problems. the efi relay and fuse are still working fine. i have not found any shorts.

Comment

my 88t ecu is still working. I've never hit the rev limiter, highest i've had it was about ~5750 on the front straight at MPH last week.

But, when i bought my parts car it was running NO resistors on a stock 86t engine with this same 88t ecu i use now. I have resistors in there now that it's on my engine, 10 ohm radioshackers. I've never heard of somebody frying an ecu who was running resistors, i hope it doesn't happen to me...
        My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
        My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
        207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

i didn't have any problems until i hit that rev limiter. now its fried.

Comment

well, in preperation for my 84 computer i bought. i removed all the resistors and wired it back like normal.

then i plugged my computer back in and the started and ran fine.

i must have burned up one of the resistors. or a few.

so i'm still not sure on the whole need for the resistors thing. i don't know if they really do anything anyway.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the rev limiter being utilized. But it is good to see you tracked it down to a part that is easy to replace.

The resistors are needed for using the low imp injectors on the later computers. Like it has been mentioned, there are better alternatives, but they involve more cost and work than most people desire.

It's like coccaine. You could hit it once and be addicted for life. Or you could use for 20 years and just quit one day with no withdrawls. The injector drivers could pop as soon as the ecu powers up or they may drive the low z injectors forever with no problems. Just kinda matters where they sit in the soa.
              http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

i'm going to drive it without the resistors and see what happens. i have a back up computer. and i'm going to be buying a turbo car soon. so if it dies i really don't care.

kind of wierd. i'm also planning on a stand alone setup.

Comment

Working...
                X