Water/methanol injection kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water/methanol injection kits

I have been investigating these kits and found the three major brands basic kits all include the same basic components in a very similar setup. The best price appears to be this one:

http://www.devilsownonline.com/universa ... n-p-8.html

Does anybody know anything about them? Anyone bought/used one from devilsown? For the fairly low price I think it might be worth it to hook it up with a spare windshield washer container and see how it works.

Cooling Mist:
    http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay. ... Turbo_kits
    And Snow Performance:
    http://www.snowperformance.net/proddeta ... od=auto010

I was unable to find anything truly bad on google about any of these kits, so I figure they're all pretty good.

I was unable to find anything truly bad on google about any of these kits, so I figure they're all pretty good.

^^^^^ oooorrrrrr maybe the customers are using them when they don't need to and therefore will never experience any negative or positive effect beyond feeling good

I know I'm no fun

Comment

lol, I don't believe this..

your post got me hunting for a guy that used to sell pretty nice looking kits here locally. "Developer05" was his AIM name...

turns out that they are coolingmist.

and they're literally up the street from me. about three major intersections down.

Maybe I can arrange picking up a kit..

of course, I'll need a running car for that to be a concern.. gah..
      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

I'm probably gonna pick up that devils kit for my truck, the base kit that is.

My truck doesn't have a map sensor, nor am I gonna shell out $$ for one.

I'll let you know how well it does on the deisel at 45+psi of boost
        used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

Overall, the "devil's kit" "looks" good. The same pump is used between every kit manufacturer. The only problem I see is that the diameter of the high pressure hosing is way too small for a Z31 application. It also looks like the PVC water lines that can be bought from Home Depot for hooking up the ice maker on the refrigerator. Yes, you would still have high pressure, but the volume would drop drastically. Apparently, they like to use smaller hoses and accesories so that you can "hide" it in the engine bay. On all of the injection kits that i have installed, I have used 3/8 or 5/16 fuel injection hoses, sometimes even steel braided. So, if anything, buy the kit and use your own hosing.

The stock windshield washer container works great for this application.
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Do you think the nozzles really flow that much that you need the larger lines? Every measured the flow?

Comment

Depending on the size of the nozzle depends on the size of the line. For example, if your using the size M1 available from McMaster, then using 1/8 inch ID hosing would work sufficiently. But that nozzle size wouldn't work for any forced induction application. So, using a larger nozzle would require more volume while maintaining the same amount of pressure for atomization. If you wanted to get really technical, then you could do all the math to determine the perfect size hose for the nozzle size.

Additionally, I would prefer hosing that can withstand the heat of the engine bay. PVC hosing for indoor plumbing isn't made for that. Also, that type of hosing kinks and splits easily if bent to much.
              [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
              [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Aquamist

I'd say it's safe to bet that these are the guys you want to be looking at and copying.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/rescr/rescr.html

All the domestic kits are really just a hack. Collections of hardware store parts, and RV pumps. Not to say they don't work. I'd just wager there is about this >< much engineering that goes into them.

Cheers.
                Attached Files
                It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

regarding cheap kits

I got a cheap kit last year and for protection against detonation and summer boost cooling they are great.

Tuning for these kits for power will be difficult without a datalogger.

The aquamist is overkill for most of us.

The pump, the injectors, the controller are the most important pieces.

I'm thinking about adding on one of these:

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.a ... controller

Cheap is good too.

See:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coolingm ... enameZWDVW

Comment

Received my Base Kit from http://www.devilsownonline.com/index.php for the dodge, everything looks pretty self explanetary. I'm sure I could have peiced this kit together, but this kit makes it convinient and is a proven set-up. to me it was worth the coin.

only issue I had is that he included the wrong pressure switch and nozzle, which he is paying for shipping both ways to correct his mistake.

so far he gets an A+ for service and product....cant wait to install it!
                    used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

Hi jason. my friend has a z and i have been reading up on some of these forums. i like the fact that you seem knowledgable and ready to try stuff on your car. ive noticed most of the people on z31.com are complete idiots, and this is a much better forum.
                      Anyway your interest in methanol injection is a good one. i have been running it for 2 years with good results (see sig) on a very worn out motor i dropped a FULL SECOND by installing this, and its always on. In my opinion the best resource for this is Julio Don of ALKYcontrol.com (727-570-9999). He sells a very good kit that is high pressure (170psi) for good atomization, and is computer controlled to vary output with boost pressure. he is a very nice guy and welcomes your calls. And just FYI, the best place to read about it is
                      http://turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
                      Julio goes by the name Razor on turbobuick
                      we in the buick community have done pretty much all of it, nitrous, propane, water, alcohol and now progressed to straight methanol as the best way. Also ive noticed that no one has mentioned the use of substituting fuel. i was previously flowing my injectors at about 96%dc and running 105 trap speeds. i am now back up to about 85-90%dc but trapping closer to 115. I figure im using about 26% of additional fueling with this. another thing is that most will say that water or windshield washer fluid is what to use. THIS IS NOT OPTIMAL. Straight methanol has the best combination of combustibility and high heat absorbtion qualities. hell i run ONLY mid grade 89oct fuel and methanol and my car hasnt been set below 22psi in over 2 years! any other questions please post and i will respond when i can. thanks
                      Gary
                      87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
                      current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

Comment

Grr wrote: Hi jason. my friend has a z and i have been reading up on some of these forums. i like the fact that you seem knowledgable and ready to try stuff on your car. ive noticed most of the people on z31.com are complete idiots, and this is a much better forum.
                        Anyway your interest in methanol injection is a good one. i have been running it for 2 years with good results (see sig) on a very worn out motor i dropped a FULL SECOND by installing this, and its always on. In my opinion the best resource for this is Julio Don of ALKYcontrol.com (727-570-9999). He sells a very good kit that is high pressure (170psi) for good atomization, and is computer controlled to vary output with boost pressure. he is a very nice guy and welcomes your calls. And just FYI, the best place to read about it is
                        http://turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
                        Julio goes by the name Razor on turbobuick
                        we in the buick community have done pretty much all of it, nitrous, propane, water, alcohol and now progressed to straight methanol as the best way. Also ive noticed that no one has mentioned the use of substituting fuel. i was previously flowing my injectors at about 96%dc and running 105 trap speeds. i am now back up to about 85-90%dc but trapping closer to 115. I figure im using about 26% of additional fueling with this. another thing is that most will say that water or windshield washer fluid is what to use. THIS IS NOT OPTIMAL. Straight methanol has the best combination of combustibility and high heat absorbtion qualities. hell i run ONLY mid grade 89oct fuel and methanol and my car hasnt been set below 22psi in over 2 years! any other questions please post and i will respond when i can. thanks
                        Gary
                        Wow, thanks for the link and welcome. I'm glad you like the site, we have tried to make it a truly performance based forum unlike any other. There is easily days and days worth of reading on turbobuick via your link for us regarding methanol injection. It's on my agenda for next spring, as I will have a nice little bill for some new goodies in a few weeks here.

I took a look at ALKYcontrol.com and really like the fact that all of his kits are progressive control. I wonder if he would be willing to put together a Z31 kit for us? From what I figure, the advantages of progressive control with the meth kits are even greater than with nitrous because of the ratios of meth to gasoline and air (if that makes any sense). Did your car gain a full 10MPH from the meth and a retune alone!?!?!? That's such a staggering performance gain that it's down right hard to believe.

The car already trapped at 124.4 in the old trim, and I was hoping to break 125 and maybe bust a low 11 this summer with just a turbocharger upgrade. It seems every time I have gotten it to hook I break something in the driveline, so I have just made it a rule to only race people from a roll now.

Comment

I recently bought the coolingmist kit off ebay but haven't installed all components yet. My initial impressions:

Pros
                          - Kit comes with everything you need to set up a basic water/meth injection system (free clog nozzle detector)

Cons
                          - Kit doesn't seem to be very special - all parts can probably be sourced and purchased individually for cheaper
                          - Not impressed with nylon tubing. It is the same stuff used in my 6 stage ro/di under sink water filter but I wouldn't trust it in an engine compartment.
                          - Injector mounting solution doesn't seem very sturdy - it could loosen over time and get sucked into the engine
                          - Not happy with amount of water that continues to spray/drip after pump is shut off. I'll have to experiment with shortening tubing between checkvalve (no solenoid provided) and injector

Will update whenever I get the rest of it installed.

Comment

well i picked up 10mph mainly because i refuse to run race gas for some reason, and i went from 16-17psi up to 23-26psi. i figure if im set up to run on the street why the hell should i work my ass off on another tune for the strip that i hardly ever go to. if it aint fast enough on pump gas it aint fast enough period! If he can get a car to prototype on, im sure he will do it, as the market is there. all thats needed is a secure mounting location, tank and/or replacement overflow, and the correct length hoses. everything else would be the same. also he uses really nice braided hoses and it looks great.
                            Gary
                            87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
                            current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

Comment

Working...
                            X