a/f turns extreme rich when fans kick on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump - whatever happened with this problem? Need follow up

Hey - my car runs noticeably different when the max fans kick on, sounds very similar to your problem. I don't have afr logging so I can't tell exactly what its causing. I am using JWT with cobra MAF. Did you ever figure this out? I might exercise my new meter by measuring maf output before and after fans kick. I am pretty sure my shield is still grounded properly.

unfortunately, I don't really have the option of going back to a mechanical fan setup, tried to and failed already. The spearco piping is just impossible to work with if the shroud is there.
    "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

I'm using an '87 Saab 9000 Turbo 3 blade electric puller fan w/ Derale thermostatic control. I had to beat the crap out of the metal shroud since S30s don't have that nice big open area in front of the motor. It should work fine for a Z31 as the width and heighth were perfect for my car.

As I already mentioned, I'm doing the Z31 MAF swap and this thread concerned me. Ashfin's sticky on hybridz.org says just to use a normal wire on the Z harness, but after reading this, I decided to use some sheilded wire that was for the knock sensor on an old harness.

Does that aluminum shielding stuff have to be grounded for it to work right?
      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
      "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

yes shielding absorbs and redirects emf in whatever direction the electric wave travels, it has to have a ground point on both ends to allow it to flow

otherwise you'd need quite a thick shield to absorb the emissions, that's partly why those ferrite cores on monitor cables work, at the point of highest noise (at the video card and yes I tested it doesn't work nearly as well at the other end) they can absorb much of the emf and because ferrite is non-magnetic iron it can't be "swayed" by the magnetic field, same idea as lead but not toxic or as heavy

Comment

Emi shielding on a coax type cable definitely needs to be grounded to deliver the proper results. (GE referred to it as emf...same difference)
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Working...
          X