z32 maf on z31.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z32 maf on z31.

Ok... Well... I just got the z32 maf (from ebay which may have been a mistake) and plugged it in.... And nothing. I have gotten the engine to run, but only as if the maf is not hooked up. This tells me that the maf is not sending a signal right? So... i looked at the maf -- it has 4 pins and my maf connector has 5 pins. What's wrong here? is my "new" maf pooched? or should i try and re-wire the plug somehow?
    8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
    eagle rods
    t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
    38 mm external wastegate
    mild port/polish
    3 angle valve job
    custom intercooler piping
    twin external intakes with z32 maf
    rad moved back
    3" exhaust with only a resonator
    romulator
    420cc injectors
    custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
    walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

`

Comment

gonna have to check the voltage tomorrow.. i just thought that there was some sort of wiring thing that i'd missed -- and there was -- i didn't jumper where the resistors used to be on the ecu. Hopefully that's all that is wrong, otherwise it's quite possible the maf is pooched. I'll check the voltages tomorrow and ensure that it's ok,
      eagle rods
      38 mm external wastegate
      mild port/polish
      3 angle valve job
      rad moved back
      romulator
      420cc injectors

Comment

You're not supposed to jumper where the resistirs were, where did you hear that?

Did you have a Z32 vqmap loaded in whatever bin you were teting?

Comment

arghhhh!! turbobluestreak says his are jumpered... not the r201.. just the other two. So I figured that might be the problem.... My afrs start at 11.0 at idle and if i hit the throttle they lean out to about 30 at 2500 rpm -- telling me that there is no maf hooked up... So that's why i thought the maf was wired wrong. So I asked turbobluestreak -- as he is on msn and could provide immediate assistance, and that's what he's done in his ecu. He also gave me a couple of bin files, so i'm more than grateful. The issue now is... i think my maf has gotta be pooched, very frustrating because i just got the thing from ebay yesterday. I'll check voltages tomorrow. The other question i have is... on an 86 NA maf there are 6 wires, on an 88 turbo there are 5.... on the z32 there are 4. I thought the 6th wire on the 86 NA was a temp sending unit... what's actually happening there then?

ohh yeah... I did upload the z32 maf using live edit.. but I didn't check to make sure it was there with pktrom software... I'll have to upload his .bins first... and then try it. Should i cut out that wire though first??
          eagle rods
          38 mm external wastegate
          mild port/polish
          3 angle valve job
          rad moved back
          romulator
          420cc injectors

Comment

Yah mine are soldered not across the gap were you pulled the resisters but perpendicular to that mine has solder on them. That’s what I meant by jumped.

tbs
            Blue & Silver 81 zxt, 88 ECCS
            Z32 mas,450cc injectors
            ported exhaust manifold, cable throttle linkage
            t3/t4e 12psi , 3inch exhaust, K&N,
            ACT clutch, 240sx t/b, 1G DSM BOV
            Custom Intake FINISHED
            Ported and Polished N42
            Tan 88-89 conquest seats
            Sperco IC 18.5x6x3.5
            2.5 IC pipes
            Suspension work!!
            Nistune
            Zeitronix Wideband
            240sx transmission
            Soon:
            95 Maxima Alternator

Comment

ohhh! ok.. yeah.. they are already soldered like that in the first place. they are a parrallel resistor setup. hehe... oh well. i'll cut the jumper i soldered in last night with my newly acquired soldering station...
              eagle rods
              38 mm external wastegate
              mild port/polish
              3 angle valve job
              rad moved back
              romulator
              420cc injectors

Comment

sorry for the lack of response... i forgot my lap top out at the shop in the 300zx. Anyhow... the mapping seems to have worked... i have to re-time the cams again -- there was indication before that the cam timing may have been out as i could not get the distributor to time right (re-timed it several times and always had troubles getting it perfect even after changing teeth and all that) I couldn't get the car to run before because the over-rich situation had caused a lot of other problems -- i.e. blowby in the rings and blowby through the turbo at startup due to poor oil viscosity. This whole situation caused poor compression and a self-perpetuating over-rich situation. Or at least that's my prognosis... Anyhow.. i changed the oil -- dripped oil into the cylinders... cleaned the plugs -- again.. and got it to run -- but i have to re-time the cams again.. no biggy.. and this should all work out when i'm done tomorrow and run well i hope.
                eagle rods
                38 mm external wastegate
                mild port/polish
                3 angle valve job
                rad moved back
                romulator
                420cc injectors

Comment

I'm not trying to be a prick but...

it really sounds like you are messing with shit you have no clue about sometimes, maybe it's the way you post and really you do get some of it, and it doesn't come across that way

Comment

No problem -- you're not a prick.
                    I'm learning a lot and sometimes my mind tends to jump to massive catastrophic consclusions instead of keeping it simple. So I ask to ensure that my overactive imagination isn't correct. I have been learning mostly engine mechanical lately -- i.e. how to make better horsepower from better flow etc... My ecu mapping understanding is minimal.. but i learn by doing and asking questions. The majority of my problems with the 300 have been chasing the rabbit down the hole. One problem causes another which causes another etc.. and i have difficulty sourcing the issue when there are 4 problems happening simultaneously. And as for the ecu and understanding what the resistors do etc... i don't have a circuit diagram for it and therefore didn't know what they actually did or how they were (series/parrallel?) in relation to the circuit. Anyhow.. your point is valid -- sometimes i really don't know what i'm talking about... but you can't learn without trying and asking.
                    eagle rods
                    38 mm external wastegate
                    mild port/polish
                    3 angle valve job
                    rad moved back
                    romulator
                    420cc injectors

Comment

everyone has something to learn, knowing and admitting it allows you to move forward

I try very hard to be correct/accurate.... my language will be clear how certain of something I am, whether I heard something and I can't verify it or whether it is from personal experience/research... if I'm wrong I want to know precisely where I farked up, and if I'm wrong because of data supplied to me by some other farker then I wanna know that too

basically the only real way to learn is removing the ego, arrogance (like righteousness) is a blinder, praise allah, curse the infidel alalalalalaa

Comment

Very well put!
                        eagle rods
                        38 mm external wastegate
                        mild port/polish
                        3 angle valve job
                        rad moved back
                        romulator
                        420cc injectors

Comment

Why modding the resistors in the ECU when changing to Z32 AF

This is a urgent topic for me as well as i am right on starting the AFM-swap as soon as i fixed my oil consuption problem, hopefully this weekend.

What i would like to know is the reason why i have to modify/cut the resistors in the ECU. Jason has a short description on his Homepage but i do not understand that exactly from the technical point.

Isn´t it that both AFMs, have the same output signal from 0,5 to 5,2 Volts?

Stinky also wrote something about AFM resistors lately, but i also did not understand exactly what he was saying. He talked about an offset-effect with a resistor to generate the 0,5 to 5 Volt - range. But a resistor cannot effect an voltage offset as far as i know. Maybe he meant a voltage-divider?

Unfortunately i am not the electronic - pro, so please give me a simple explanation for the Z32 AFM swap.

Thanks

Comment

`

Comment

Bernardd wrote: The stock maf has a range of 2.2ish at idle to over 6 volts at high flow. the a/d converter in the ecu cannot read anything above 5.12vdc. The resistors, combined with an opamp bring the voltage back into a range the a/d can read. (the ecu uses 0 to 5.12vdc from the maf signal after the resistors anyway) Removing them allows a lower voltage output from the maf without sending the ecu into limp mode. The z32 maf has a range of 1.2ish at idle and 5.12vdc at high flow. After you've removed the resistors the ecu is still happy with the lower voltage it is seeing and tuning can commence.
                              I have updated the afmcrap.html page with your quote, if that's ok. Hopefully this will better explain it to begin with.

The whole romulator/le page and stuff needs some massive updating from just what I have learned about tuning, let alone all the hardware advancements like NisTune that all but wash away what we previsouly used.

Comment

Working...
                              X