A tale of two wastegate actuators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of two wastegate actuators

I typed this a while back, just forgot to upload and share it until now.

*hickup*

Most of you will find it very basic, but I figured it would help people out who are new to the turbo world.

http://www.redz31.com/pages/wgactuator.html

Nice, learned something new.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

aftermarket compressor housing uning a small peice of angle aluminum or steel
      spleling

The stock actuator will not have anywhere to mount on a aftermarket compressor housing
      confusing, sounds contradictory but it's just repeating.... unless you meant an aftermarket actuator could mount to the stock compressor?

also not mentioned is the idea of shortening the actuator rod so that you preload the lever, you don't make the spring any stronger, but the wastegate won't creep open, it will be like a boost controller where you reach a point and it will pop open quickly.... whether this is helpful in raising the actuation point or just preventing premature opening ....?

Comment

Actually, you will fail to reach sustainable boost over 18-20 psi if you do not use an "fix" that jason describes or an expensive actuator. I have an upgraded actuator that cannot hold sustained boost over 20. It's tightened as far as is reasonable on the threads. There is too much pressure. Upgrade or add a spring. My recent runs set at 22 psi under sustained boost it drops to 18 over the course of a few seconds sustained. I have it cranked as far as possible.

dead on correct.
        "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

G-E wrote: also not mentioned is the idea of shortening the actuator rod so that you preload the lever, you don't make the spring any stronger, but the wastegate won't creep open, it will be like a boost controller where you reach a point and it will pop open quickly.... whether this is helpful in raising the actuation point or just preventing premature opening ....?
          As Drew said, shortening the actuator rod will still only adjust boost as much as the actuator is able to hold... by putting more preload on the spring it needs more pressure to begin to open, but when you're running boost pressures over 14-15PSI on most actuators they tend to need a spring upgrade to sustain higher pressure. Most people don't think about the manifold pressure building with boost and how it forces the wastegate flapper open just like the boost pressure in the actuator diaphragm. Just like running higher boost with a 6PSI spring in an external wastegate, in the end you just need a higher rate spring. I've seen some expensive ones with replaceable springs (I believe ATP sells one) but why buy something so pricey when $2 will fix the problem?

Comment

Pictures of it mounted, with a 'little' modification by tmbg.
            this was the only way to really get it perfectly aligned.
            No frame-rail problems once it was installed either.
            I'll probably buy an actuator with a bend in it later on.

vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
            2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

godDAMN my shop is messy >:|
              88ss, MegaSquirted.
              t3/t4 60-1 cold, stage 3 hot, FMIC
              450cc DSM injectors, walbro 255
              http://www.z-toys.com/ Boost gauge and MS info

Comment

:roll: Didn't your mother teach you to put things away when your'e done with them?
                You know, the whole "Clean as you go, pick up after yourself" thing.

heh, Now start kick'in your ass, get in the habit!
                :lol:
                I am here to help...

Comment

sorry my english, what be this "clean" you refer to?

Comment

Very informative and much appreciated.
                    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                    X