No announcement yet.

surge tank location..pix needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crowbar wrote: Since mcx is not using a earkier model turbo-ecu, he has no need for the surge tank.
    Um... what? I really don't see how those are related.

Comment

I believe mcx is using a 1986 turbo ecu in his NA to turbo VG30e car. In the Nissan field shop manual, there is no surge tank present (1986 300zx). In other words, he would need to pick a later model turbo ecu to even use the surge tank, one-way valve and solenoid.

I believe the function of that set up is only for hot starts and other rare circumstances.
      Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

So what you're saying is the solenoid is controlled by the ECU? The tank and one way valve would function independently, but do you know if and how the solenoid is controlled by the ECU (IE what wires does it use and conditions does it know to activate the solenoid?), or is it the climate control?

Comment

The FSM for the 88t states that the surge tank holds high pressure air to be used on 'hot-starts'. The hot start condition would then trigger the ecu to release the pressure against the fuel pressure regulator to cause a rich condition.

The solenoid for doing this is different from 84-86 than 87+. Could the early ecus control this? Perhaps.
          Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Wiring a relay triggered off the ignition starter wire to trip the vac. solonoid makes starts easier/better everytime.
            *It was a solution I ended up doing with the '88t.
            ECCS still functions as normal, just I made it operate on every start.
            8)
            I am here to help...

Comment

Interesting.

The later year ecus apply the pressure when the fuel temp is very high. For 3 minutes. Basically fighting off the heat soaked engine condition of high fuel temp by running rich.

As a ad-hoc start aid, it could be rigged around any voltage that is short lived (like the starter).
              Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

That makes sense, it must just be a supplement to the fuel pressure regulator solenoid wiring. I think I remember seeing another air solenoid over there on my turbo cars, but I thought that was for the AIV.... hmmm maybe it's time to actually look at those parts.

It's funny though. With the line to the fuel pressure regulator plugged directly to the plenum, all of my cars still always start rich in all conditions (from 17 to 90 degrees tested).

Comment

Working...
                X