No announcement yet.

Anti-lag system, anyone using one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a point in my supra build that i was considering hooking up a starter solenoid to a "flap" just before the the turbine inlet. When the solenoid was activated, it would reduce the area before the turbo thus creating higher velocity gasses... i'm sure it could be done to hook up to the throttle position or something.. but mine was going to be manual. The second part of it was that i would have the solenoid also hooked up to a manual bov so that the turbo could sit there and spool up without boosting the engine. That way you could launch your car at say 10 psi because as soon as you drop the clutch, you'd release the solenoid and the turbo would already be spooled up and off you go!
    8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
    eagle rods
    t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
    38 mm external wastegate
    mild port/polish
    3 angle valve job
    custom intercooler piping
    twin external intakes with z32 maf
    rad moved back
    3" exhaust with only a resonator
    romulator
    420cc injectors
    custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
    walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

t70 wrote: There was a point in my supra build that i was considering hooking up a starter solenoid to a "flap" just before the the turbine inlet. When the solenoid was activated, it would reduce the area before the turbo thus creating higher velocity gasses... i'm sure it could be done to hook up to the throttle position or something.. but mine was going to be manual. The second part of it was that i would have the solenoid also hooked up to a manual bov so that the turbo could sit there and spool up without boosting the engine. That way you could launch your car at say 10 psi because as soon as you drop the clutch, you'd release the solenoid and the turbo would already be spooled up and off you go!

I don't get that. Um... How exactly is the turbo spooled if it's not building boost on the compressor side? Sure, it's spinning, but if it's not building positive pressure at the manifold (a la a 2 step launch controller) then it's not spooled.

Comment

I didn't do a whole lot more research on the subject... so I really don't know what was going to happen, but i was willing to give it a shot. I however do fail to see your point -- if at normal operation under no boost the turbo is operating at 30,000 rpm at 3000 engine rpm (these numbers are completely arbitrary) And through decreasing the effective a/r and removing any head pressure to the compressor wheel, I was able to get the turbo to spin at 60,000 rpm then i would be flowing more air through it right? Now i know that it doesn't take a whole lot to slow the turbo down, so maybe it's a two step system -- maybe step one is close the manual bov and step two -- once the boost pressure reaches 10 psi -- is to open the a/r back up? I don't know exactly what would happen in this situation, I just wanted to try it and be the only person out there running a home built variable a/r.
        eagle rods
        38 mm external wastegate
        mild port/polish
        3 angle valve job
        rad moved back
        romulator
        420cc injectors

Comment

t70 wrote: I didn't do a whole lot more research on the subject... so I really don't know what was going to happen, but i was willing to give it a shot. I however do fail to see your point -- if at normal operation under no boost the turbo is operating at 30,000 rpm at 3000 engine rpm (these numbers are completely arbitrary) And through decreasing the effective a/r and removing any head pressure to the compressor wheel, I was able to get the turbo to spin at 60,000 rpm then i would be flowing more air through it right? Now i know that it doesn't take a whole lot to slow the turbo down, so maybe it's a two step system -- maybe step one is close the manual bov and step two -- once the boost pressure reaches 10 psi -- is to open the a/r back up? I don't know exactly what would happen in this situation, I just wanted to try it and be the only person out there running a home built variable a/r.
          if you have a turbo with a twin scroll housing on the hot side , you could fab a flapper so it closes and opens at a certin boost pressure like here in the linky , havent tried personally (and probably never will) but it seems to make sense in my head , but then again some things make sense in my head that shouldnt :wink:

http://www.speedshopthagard.com/project ... index.html

if you can see the second pic you will see what i mean , i tried to show it to some guys on z31.com a while back , they just called me a retard disregarded the idea... that + nitrous and you can have a monster turbo spool up atleast 1.5k rpm's faster id guess...

Comment

Thanks!!! that's very similar to what i was thinking... except mine was going to go across both sides and look more like an AFM from a toyota... I was planning on using a very thick plate that would not end up being perpendicular to the flow. If it were fully closed it would still be less than 90 degrees to the flow. I was expecting to close it so that it restricted about half the flow at about a 30 degree angle so as not to add too much turbulence and still restrict the area. The whole purpose is to increase gas velocity so plugging off one whole side of the turbine inlet would actually be fairly restrive to gas velocities and be risky in terms of breaking the flap off and it falling into the turbine. It was also important to me that the flapper be larger than would be possible to fall into the turbo. The other part would be that it would have to be mounted after the external wastegate so that if the flap did break off and fall in -- thus plugging off the turbine inlet -- the exhaust gasses could exit through the wastegate and hopefully prevent any engine damage.
            eagle rods
            38 mm external wastegate
            mild port/polish
            3 angle valve job
            rad moved back
            romulator
            420cc injectors

Comment

good plan, but there isn't enough space

Comment

results off turbine block off plate

`

Comment

that would be why i haven't done it on the z.. spac constraints... i'm sure there's a way... but i will try it on the supra first... And see how it goes.
                  eagle rods
                  38 mm external wastegate
                  mild port/polish
                  3 angle valve job
                  rad moved back
                  romulator
                  420cc injectors

Comment

Working...
                  X