Anti-lag system, anyone using one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-lag system, anyone using one

I wasn't sure what category to put this under but since it is turbo-related i put it here.

I read this but I am kind of skeptical about it. Anyone use anything like this or even heard of a method like this. I know a 50-shot of nitrous is the well known ultimate ALS, but this is interesting.

"The ignition timing is retarded with 25-30° or more and the air/fuel mixture is made richer at low throttle opening and low load. With the ignition timing delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned and because the exhaust system’s temperature is higher than the flash point of the air/fuel mix, the unburned fuel explodes in the exhaust tubes. The turbo is accelerated by the increased temperature/pressure and the rotational speed of the turbo is kept high. While ALS is engaged, full boost is available the moment the throttle is opened. "

http://www.innovativeturbo.com/pages/turbo_anti_lag.asp
    KILL HADJI

I had messed around with the Anti-Lag feature on DSM Link on my Buddies GST, I definitly would not reccomend doing it every time you go out and drive as it puts a ton of strain on well everything.
    2005 whore magnet

Comment

Wow talk about dodgy! I wouldn't ever do any of that bs...
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

It works excellent, but it where's the fizzuck out of your turbo. Rally people do it and... umm replace their turbo(s) after each race...
        BLOZ UP.com
        It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

BLOZ UP wrote: It works excellent, but it where's the fizzuck out of your turbo. Rally people do it and... umm replace their turbo(s) after each race...
          Thanks, that is what i was thinking, but not that destructive. I'm not really considering it, but it is always great to be a sponge for knowledge. A proggressive nitrous shot will well suit my needs in the future. Does anyone have any other ways to get quicker spool besides slapping on nitrous or a small ass turbo.
          KILL HADJI

Comment

VGT or VNT turbo, I dont know much about them personally only have heard of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_g ... rbocharger

Comment

Yes, Anti-lag to that effect is used on all of the high-end rally cars both here and overseas. It's a really cool sound to hear a 500whp evo screaming through the woods and sending gunshots out the exhaust every time he lifts, but as others noted... it puts tremendous stress on the turbocharger's turbine shaft because the pressure pulse is many times stronger than a "normal" power pulse from the engine. Not practical if you plan on using your turbocharger for more than one event or even a few stages. Lots of the WRC teams change the turbocharger out during any service where they have enough time!

Comment

How cool would that be, I can just imagine the shelf now with 20 turbos sitting there waiting lol

Comment

antilag kills things.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

still....

brake brake pop pop pop vrooooooooooooom 20psi

I'd do it if turbos weren't so rare up here, of course I'd rarely turn it on

Comment

has anyone read anything about the new skyline gtr's turbo set up? supposedly it is going to be system where the engine will never see vacuum for much quicker spool times. it's not really an anti lag system but it still sparked the interest when i read it. i don't know the spec's but i'm sure it's a computer controlled wastegate of some kind.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

I had suggested to someone using a rear mounted turbo that they look into this. I do not like the idea of raw gas impulsing into the exhaust. I wonder if a 'softer' impulse can be had from some working fluid injected into the exhaust pipe itself.

A fluid that would expand greatly in the presence of heat, adding greater mass to the exhaust flow, as well as pressure.

Since there is very little O2 after a catalytic converter, and fuel being burned would need some air injection. Its a very dangerous thing in my opinion.
                        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

you could do the anti-lag on a remote mount, thing is you can't have a cat between, it's an obstruction and the pops will destroy the honeycomb and it will become molten slag or flying debris

Comment

300zxt wrote: VGT or VNT turbo, I dont know much about them personally only have heard of them.

:shock: That is a genious design. I want!

Another idea i had was to rig up a spray nozzle to spray into the turbine housing using nitrogen. Sort of how some jet turbines get started. I was thinking CO2 because it is cheaper and more readily available at any paintball supplier, but the risk of cracking the turbine and housing from extreme temp change directed me towards nitrogen. We will see if i ever run out of mods, get really bored one weekend, or run into extreme lag problems later on when i get a bigger turbo.
                            KILL HADJI

Comment

[quote]Alex86na2t wrote:
                              Originally posted by 300zxt
                              VGT or VNT turbo, I dont know much about them personally only have heard of them.

:shock: That is a genious design. I want!
                              VNT turbochargers have been used for years and years on diesel trucks, they are actually quite common. I only know of a few production cars to get them, like the Dodge turboIII's and the new 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X