87 na ecu with romulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 na ecu with romulator

Whats up guys. I am in the process of putting in the romulator and I posted this on z31.com but I have been told you guys can probably give me some info on the subject. Heres the post....

Reading Jasons website it says that an 87 ecu can be used with some modifications. I was wondering if there will be tunning issues when using just the stock low imp injectors with the 87 na ecu, no resistors and a romulator. Is there less tunning possibility running low imp setup vs a high imp ecu and resistors? Right now I just want to get the car tunned right for around 260whp. I dynoed my car yesterday and was very dissappointed with the results. 216hp 314 ft-lbs on 91 octane, boost spiking to around 12 then holding 10. I just put on a 60-1 with a clipped stock exhaust side (which I think may be another problem.) Fuel is stock with a z32 filter but I have a 255lph pump sitting in my garage. Ill post the graph when I get home but it basically peaked at 3500 and the air fuel went way rich past 4k and kept getting richer. If the romulator will work on my setup I will hopefully be able to tune out all the issues and have a semi reliable car until I figure out what injectors I want to run. Any help would be apriciated though.
    Z

matt85turbo wrote: Reading Jasons website it says that an 87 ecu can be used with some modifications.
    Are you aware of the modifications needed to make an 87 ECU work for Romulator or Nistune? It's a bit more involved than just socketing the 28pin EEPROM.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Most of your power loss is probably due to the AFR, especially at higher RPM. It looks like through the midrange the reason for that lean hump may be you are bumping the TTPmax setting.

Installing in 87 ECU's is only a little more complicated, and I'm sure Matt (developer of NisTune) would be willing to socket it for you... EDIT: I probably should not post the link because I have just been informed there is an issue with USDM 87 ECU's that Matt had not encountered on the AUS ecu's.

Comment

^^^^^ Yeah, you probably shouldn't post that manual until Matt gives the ok :lol:

Check your PM's!!!
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

baleeted!

I'm secretly hoping when nistune comes out there will be some surplus romulator stock floating around cheap

Comment

raidon84300zx wrote:
            Are you aware of the modifications needed to make an 87 ECU work for Romulator or Nistune? It's a bit more involved than just socketing the 28pin EEPROM.
            Does anyone know the exact modifications needed to run an 87 ecu?
            Seems like everyone says its not hard, just a little more complex, but no one has told me exactly what I need to do. I have a computer/audio guru socketing my ecu so I don't think there will be any problems if he needs to do more work on it.
            If someone could let me know what needs to be done it would be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks

Comment

`

Comment

Bernardd wrote: post a pic of the guts. you may not have to do anything beyond socketing it or you may have to remove a second chip and do some jumper stuff.
                Not an 87NA, but an 87 Turbo ECU... not sure if it helps, but if it does, I can take better pictures.

Tom's Z31 300ZX Page
                NEz31s - The Northeast's Performance Z31 Club

Comment

Thats cool, but you didnt' explain how to modify the ECU to actually read that 28pin chip. As of right now, any changes to the software on the EEPROM will not take effect, except for the fact that if you put a blank chip in or write the software somewhere else on the chip, the car won't start or function properly.
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

you have to remove the 24pin chip and bypass some address pins on the "cpu"

nistune will have necessary documentation

Comment

Have you checked for boost leaks? That could account for the overly rich condition, and corresponding loss of power.
                      imagination is a virtue

Comment

raidon84300zx wrote: Thats cool, but you didnt' explain how to modify the ECU to actually read that 28pin chip.
                        Taking it apart was as far as I got with it. This was back when people were just figuring out how to get the romulator working with the 88-89 ECUs. I put it aside and bought an 88NA ECU instead. I guess when NisTune comes out, I'll put it on the 87 computer.
                        Tom's Z31 300ZX Page
                        NEz31s - The Northeast's Performance Z31 Club

Comment

Working...
                        X