MAF selections and hardware/wiring changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF selections and hardware/wiring changes

I have been running SDS for a while now with a MAP sensor. I am selling it and going with a stock wiring harness and Romulator. Im just gathering some parts right now like the romulator and MAF. Some options im looking at are:

1. Your obvious Z32 MAF or Cobra MAF
    2. Q45 MAF (not sure if it will work)
    3. Hacked stock MAF in bigger pipe

I also read with other MAF's you need to make physical mods to the ecu and or wiring harness to work with the stock ecu. This is why i am opting for a stock AFM hacked into a larger pipe, but am willing to do the mods to run another MAF if needed, i just see no discussion on what needs to be done. Any help here?

Also i have never heard of the Q45 MAF being used, why is this?

I need something that will support 450RWHP, im running low imp. 420cc injectors.

Id like to jump on the Romulator bandwagon and experience a different type of tuning as i've had the SDS for a while now, by the way the enitre setup is for sale!

OK, well i dont know how i missed that but i found Jasons page discussing the MAF and hardware changes, awesome!

So the MAF plug is the same on the Z32 as it is on the Z31?

And im wanting to go Q45 MAF as i can get my hands on them at junkyards! why dont anyone use them?

Comment

I'd say go with the z32/j30 maf. Cobra maxes out early as does the q45. Stock maf isnt going to be as easy if you can afford the z32 maf. The z32 maf plugs straight in and all you need is a filter adapter so you can use a cone filter on it.

Comment

sweet i will grab a Z32 MAF. Im pretty sure the J30 MAF is the same too from the VG30DE, i have seen a couple in the yards and might go with that cus from the yard it will only run me $35 if i can find one that is. I think im looking for the N62 right?

Only reason i am concerned is Jason already had to make an air bypass to get over 16psi with this MAF, i will be doing headwork soon and pushing 20+ psi and need something that will support it.

Comment

Bought the Romulator just now, still looking for MAF if someone can find me a N62 for under $100, screw the $150 ebay ones.

Comment

`

Comment

how far do you think i will get with that? I need something that will meter 500 crank HP worth of air. I do have a 4" inlet turbo and would go with a 4" pipe, PVC is 4" ID and metal pipe would be slightly smaller ID....not sure which one i would go with

Comment

Supposedly PVC isn't good to use as an intake for a car. Something along the lines of it lets off some fumes that aren't good for the engine. Its been a while since I've read about it so I can't remember it all in great detail.

Comment

`

Comment

Ok i might go that route, but the Z31 MAF's style of metering isnt different? I mean considering it uses those extra resistors in the ecu to make it meter higher and whatnot?? Im just wondering if it meters the same exact way as a Z32, if it does then i would obviously be pullin in more air through a bigger pipe, therefore i would still want to remove the 3 items on the board i would assume? Im just analyzing it to the last possibility, im sure its fine.

Comment

`

Comment

Why is that? I trust your knowledge, im just wondering why. I mean it will be running much lower voltage at idle than a stock MAF so it probably will go into limp mode if i dont remove those resistors, no?

Comment

`

Comment

Yah i understand that, but of course i will want to play with the fuel at certain RPM's and boost to level it out where i want it, and also i have 420cc injectors, stock are 260cc. So i would need a tube that is 61% larger stock is what? 2.75" ID? So i would need a pipe with a 4.4275" inside diameter roughly to not have to rescale the K value and TTP's. I guess im going with a 4.5" pipe and adjusting the ecu a little bit, then going into the fuel map to make my fine adjustments.

Comment

On my cobra maf I noticed a restricter plate on the back of the
                              element housing.It seemed to me that it could be replaced with a
                              larger one, restricting airflow acrossed the element.
                              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Working...
                              X