MSD SCI ignition box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD SCI ignition box

hey i was just wondering if anyone has anything negative i should know about the msd SCI (no rev-limit) box. one of my customers/friends at work is asking me if i want his box for $100 which is one hell of a deal in my opinion, thanks in advance.

also what is everyone running, if anything, as ignition/electrical helpers?
    Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

I have a MSD 6A and blaster SS coil, the 6A is really most what the SCI is inside. I think it was a complete waste of money, but I didn't pay anything for them so I considered it a free upgrade when I took them off another car I bought. If I remember a little while back, you could get the 6A on sale at summit for about $120 brand new and the 6AL for $160.

The ONLY differences I noted might have been:
    -a little more pep from 2-3K
    -a bigger spark gap is usable on account of more coil voltage

I made 418rwhp on the stock ignition system with no issues before putting on the MSD box attempting to fix a problem that it didn't fix. I don't think you really need to upgrade anything in the ignition until you're at that point, but who am I to judge. If you want another new toy for your car that might even give you slightly better fuel economy... go for it.

Comment

Regarding the MSD Digital SCi Plus Boxes...
      *For those using Nitrous...the box allows for a timing retard when the N2O is active(an important feature for those wanting the most from the nitrous w/o having to stop and alter base timing everytime)
      -For those unfamiliar with the stock ECU's Rev Limit Design...it is of the "fuel cut type"(I hate these)
      *This box, like all the others from MSD, has a Soft Touch rev limiter that drops spark to alternating cylinders and is awesome.
      ^Lastly, the "ideal" coil for this box isn't cheap.
      I am here to help...

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: Regarding the MSD Digital SCi Plus Boxes...
        *For those using Nitrous...the box allows for a timing retard when the N2O is active(an important feature for those wanting the most from the nitrous w/o having to stop and alter base timing everytime)
        -For those unfamiliar with the stock ECU's Rev Limit Design...it is of the "fuel cut type"(I hate these)
        *This box, like all the others from MSD, has a Soft Touch rev limiter that drops spark to alternating cylinders and is awesome.
        ^Lastly, the "ideal" coil for this box isn't cheap.
        so does this mean using this ignition box will allow fireballs by bouncing it off the rev limiter? 8)

Comment

On a stock z31...in 99% of the cases..NO.
          Realize fireballs are usually created from an extreme offset in timing.
          *Some people actualy use that "FireBall" effect to build boost while standing still(no load).
          "From first hand experience with an Eclipse build I did...I do not recomend anything of the sorts as the pressures on the crank/pistons/valves...is tremendous.....and I'm sure the flame burning/exploding in the turbine/exhaust isn't to safe either.

Firing every other cylinder is as smooth as it gets in regards to safely slowing/stopping rpm rise, such as the MSD boxes do.
          I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
          X