E85 flex fuel nistune & injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 flex fuel nistune & injectors

So apparently nistune supports flex fuel for the z31. I'd love to add it on but I'm worried about injector control with 1000 cc+ injectors.

Has anyone used nistune with e85 and what size injectors were you using and how much power? Also just to be spoon fed all I need is the flex fuel board, e85 flex fuel sensor to run it and no additional software is necessary? Looking to make 600-650 rwhp on e85, so I'm assuming I'll need at least 1400 cc injectors.

Would love some feedback if this is doable.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Im running FIC 1220cc injectors at about 900-1000 rpm idle on pump gas. It idles pretty good but a little too rich and I believe im at my min duty cycle limit because i cant bring the afr above 11-12 afr. I think when I go to E85 it should I should get a perfect idle due to that you need more duty cycle for e85 to accomplish to same fueling as pump gas . I recommend 1200cc~ based off those online injector calculator supposedly put you at 600+ hp at 43psi

Now for Flex fuel, I'm pretty sure you need a extra nistune module plus the fuel flex sensor for the fuel flex feature to work. Plus all of that fuel blending tuning is not worth it in my opinion. Just run e85 all the time and tune based off that.
    Own:
    1986 Z31 2+0 Turbo GLL ---- spearco IC ,3" exhaust, Poly everything with solid subframe and diff mounts, HX35/40 Holset Turbo, CLSD, Nistune with 1220cc FIC injectors on E85.
    1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
    Owned:
    1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
    1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
    1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
    1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
    1988 Z31 2+0 Turbo White ---- Stripped for all of its goodies.
    1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
    1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black
    2003 Nissan frontier D22 supercharded vg33e 4x4

Comment

Is Nistune really necessary if you're not using e85? Mad Matt from Budget Boosting is making good power on the stock ECU with a T70 Turbo. I've got an 84 Turbo so I have the zirconium. 02 sensor, so I know the 87 NA ECU what you want to use if you don't want to swap sensors. But, those ECU's are rare and you'd have to solder on a flash memory module from another 87 Turbo ECU. I like to keep things simple and cost effective. I apologize if that's a bit off topic.

Comment

The most important feature among many others of nistune is to be able to adjust fueling. With a bigger turbo your going to flow more air and will require more fuel keep it within a safe afr range. The stock 260CC injectors you max out the amount the injectors at around 220-240hp to the wheels. If that if the stock computer programming can even correctly compensate for that.

With nistune I can install much larger injectors adjust the injector opening timing so it doesn't flood the engine at idle.
        Own:
        1986 Z31 2+0 Turbo GLL ---- spearco IC ,3" exhaust, Poly everything with solid subframe and diff mounts, HX35/40 Holset Turbo, CLSD, Nistune with 1220cc FIC injectors on E85.
        1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
        Owned:
        1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
        1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
        1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
        1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
        1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
        1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black

Comment

Sorry, I guess I should have asked if it's necessary when you're still under 300 crank horsepower and using stock injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmlegends View Post
            Sorry, I guess I should have asked if it's necessary when you're still under 300 crank horsepower and using stock injectors.
            Should be possible if your using a NA compression and using one of them rising rate fuel pressure regulator. But I wouldn't recommend it without a AFR gauge. But yours on the ragged edge of the limit of your components.

Read up on the old but still has good info at Jason old site.

http://redz31.suomiz.net/pages/fuelupgrade.html
            Own:
            1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
            Owned:
            1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
            1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
            1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
            1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
            1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
            1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black

Comment

Flex fuel is important because you don't know what grade E85 you are getting. You pick up E50 from a gas station and the tune is ran at E70 levels for max power and you are now detonating most likely. Having the map adjust with timing/fuel for E85 % imo is extremely important with such a high HP set up for these cars.
              Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

I found a list of vendors and workshops for Nistune, specifically Z31. Which one of these shops closest to the East Coast is reputable?

https://www.nistune.com/workshops/no.../united-states

Comment

E85 Update: So I switched to E85 and I'm able to obtain really nice 13-14 afr after warm up. Car seems to run smoother on E85. As far as those work shops I haven't had any luck on the east coast seems like the nistune workshops is old and out of date.

I did have luck in Texas with
                  Houston Z Auto
                  10541 Cypress Creek Parkway, Suite 702

I contacted them via facebook they updated my nistune to FP firmware and were super professional.

Own:
                  1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
                  Owned:
                  1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
                  1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
                  1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
                  1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
                  1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
                  1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black

Comment

The only thing is I heard they were very expensive too.

Comment

The only thing is I heard they were very expensive too.
                      What do you mean specifically by expensive. Modify car to make any real power is going to be expensive plus all the reliability problems involved.

Originally posted by 300zxturboftw View Post
                      Flex fuel is important because you don't know what grade E85 you are getting. You pick up E50 from a gas station and the tune is ran at E70 levels for max power and you are now detonating most likely. Having the map adjust with timing/fuel for E85 % imo is extremely important with such a high HP set up for these cars.
                      Your right. After thinking about my setup. E85 can very a lot in % . Some more research on Nistune and Ethanol blending I will probably will invest in getting Innovates ECF-1 = 4 in 1 AFR gauge that outputs 1v - 5v ethanol content. That means I should be able to wire directly into Nistune without the need for Nistune Flexfuel adapter. Plus the small benefit of using the LSU 4.9 over the older LSU 4.2 O2 sensor.
                      Own:
                      1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
                      Owned:
                      1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
                      1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
                      1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
                      1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
                      1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
                      1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black

Comment

Originally posted by Wilsonthesphere View Post

What do you mean specifically by expensive.
                        Expensive as in their cost to repair or replace is far beyond what another reputable repair shop would charge you for the same amount of labor and parts. I was looking to purchase a Z near Houston and asked them for a quote to inspect the car to go through the car and see if the t-belt was done. They gave me a quote of well over $200 which I thought was an exorbitant fee especially from Texas where labor rates are generally less than New England. Another Z car owner also stated they performed was expensive.
                        Last edited by jdmlegends; 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Expensive as in their cost to repair or replace is far beyond what another reputable repair shop would charge you for the same amount of labor and parts. I was looking to purchase a Z near Houston and asked them for a quote to inspect the car to go through the car and see if the t-belt was done. They gave me a quote of well over $200 which I thought was an exorbitant fee especially from Texas where labor rates are generally less than New England. Another Z car owner also stated they performed was expensive.
                          I think we mixing the two. Nistune vendor list is meant to provide contacts for shop who tune/install nistune (although its not very vetted you can get screwed over). Typically a performance/tuner shop will charge more for maintenance items because they rather focus on performance fabrication and tuning.

My experience was contacting all the shops listed on the nistune page nearest to me(florida) until I reached texas. It was almost to the point I was worried I would have to by a programmer and flash the nistune myself. Nistune will never be a popular as Hondata because the limited features and cars it for so nistune tuners are scarce.

Your best bet would be looking for tuner that works on multiple platforms and can take a look a nistune so he can learn it. But make sure you make it as easy for him as possible with a good base map. At the end of the day you only need him to modify fuel and timing maps and a dyno to see the results.

Or just get a megasquirt any tuner worth their salt knows how to tune megasquirt. But with megasquirt you quickly see if gets expensive compared to nistune.
                          Own:
                          1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
                          Owned:
                          1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
                          1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
                          1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
                          1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
                          1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
                          1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black

Comment

Working...
                          X