ECU compatibility with Nistune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU compatibility with Nistune

Gathering parts for 84NA2T - having reviewed ECU posts and threads, I still do not have a definite answer to the following question:

Will a 1987 nonturbo ECU (with Nistune) work in a 84NA2T project. I don’t see why I would need a turbo ECU if I have Nistune available to change the fuel map.

You should be able to run a turbo setup on the ECU with Nistune. I think the O2 sensor type still has to match if you're using it. Looks like it does match in your combination
    http://redz31.suomiz.net/pages/fuel.html

Comment

Confirmed, yes. I have done exactly this (87NA ECU on 84NA harness.) I am running a VG33ET build and use the 89T tune for a DD.
      Last edited by FrozenZ; 03-09-2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

But one question remains. Do you still need to swap over and solder in the turbo prom from the 88-89T ECU to the 87 NA ECU?

Comment

Apparently not, seems to work just fine...

Comment

I am surprised you got it to work with the 84 NA harness too. Other Z31 owners have reported that it won't fire up after the swap. Of course, there are other variables that could cause the no start issue.

Comment

that's because people do swaps on barely-running cars with tons of issues and are then surprised when it doesn't magically fix things

Comment

For the car to run you just need to make sure your ECU matches your injectors. By that I mean a low impedance ECU needs to be paired with low impedance injectors.
                Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Why do you even need the 87 NA ECU if you have an 84T? If I swap from auto to M/T, can't I just use the Auto ECU from the 84T and then have the Nistune board installed? That way I don't have to look for a 30+ year old ECU that may or may not work. If you go to Nistune's website and order the type I board for the VG30ET, it doesn't even ask you what year the ECU is.

Comment

Working...
                  X