Engine temperature gauge not working on 87ZX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine temperature gauge not working on 87ZX

I have changed out the TG sensor on the head and checked the plug-in wire. It was OK. What do I need to look up next ?

If you short the wire the gauge should move
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Which wire: Is it the one that goes to the front sensor on the block? How hard is it to get to the actual gauge under the dash? I'm a sensor citizen and it is hard for me to see under the dash, and, I want to avoid removing the dash to check the gauge. Thanks !

Comment

Latest update: I have traced the problem to the wire up under the dash. On another site, the guy said I could just take out the dr's side seat, get under the dash from the floor, and take a pencil eraser and clean off the points on the gauge. I know this is the point of my problem because I can reach my hand up to the gauge and it starts working OK. Sadly, it will not keep working. It only works correctly for a few seconds and then quits again. I cannot even see the gauge or the wires that go to the gauge because of all the clutter in that area under the dash. I have also cleans up the old wire on my old plug-in- so I can identify the correct wire assembly under the dash. I was hoping that I could fix this issue without removing the dash. Any body have any idea what my next move should be? This car that I bought has a lot of Gremlins- which I have identified and fixed. I have 3 left, including this temp gauge one. It also looks like I am going to have to change out my climate control module and the rack and pinion as well. Fortunately, I have a part car with a good R & P-so I will not have to lay out a tidy sum for a rebuilt one. Any ideas and encourage from you guys would be extremely helpful at this point.

Comment

update above

Comment

Jerry now that you know the trace find a mechanic that cna fix it for you. I am not a senior but at 6' 195 I don't fit into the lower part of my car very well under drivers side but my 5'5" 145 mechanic he can crawl in there and easily do the job. Or find a wiry kid that can listen to your instructions.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, badq. I'm going to give it one more try before I take the car to my mechanic.

Comment

Did you fix it? I had him wiry little mechanic fix my brake pedal stopper a few weeks ago, I think that is the 3rd time for that fix. I did it once but was tight, he's a 5'5" asian dude and it took him 2 minutes.

Comment

No, I have not been able to fix it yet. I have located that it appears to be the wiring from the sensor to the gauge under the dash. I was able to get it working for a moment- but it quit and I have not been able to proceed with further investigation. There are so many wires and steel supports under the dash that I cannot see the actual guage by looking up under the dash. I read somewhere else on the internet several days ago about a guy that was able to fix the issue with a pencil eraser and cleaning the points on the gauge. Unfortunately, the guy did not indicate clearly how he did this fix. Using a LED flashlight and a mechanic's mirrow was no help. I sure want to fix this issue without dropping the dash- if possible. This guy was able to fix the issue without dropping the dash. Anybody on here had this problem ?

Comment

I just need to know if I am going to have to reluctantly remove the dash to fix this issue. There is so much wiring and metal bracing under the dash that makes it hard if not impossible to adequately diagnose my problem. I still think it is either a lose wire or a corroded connection.

Comment

Working...
                    X