swapping computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swapping computers

well the other day i went to a junkyard in salt lake for a the rear hatch off a 300z. while i was there i spotted an 88NA. i went over and found it still had the computer. i quickly snached it up and took it and the hatch to the front. i got the computer for $20.

so today i decided to swap it into my 84NA to see if it would make any difference in the way the car performed.

i just took it for a spin and i can tell a differece. of course this is all butt dyno.

i'm planning on Nistune for my NA. so this is just the first step for it. i'm going to start gathering parts for the release of nistune.

from what i understand the 87na is an upgrade specially for the 84na. better idle, throttle response and perhaps a slight gain in horse power because of the different timing and fuel map. so i would imagine that the 88 does the same.
    Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

I believe to use an 88-89 ECU in any 84-87 you need to wire in resistors at the ECU and reverse the injector wiring back to stock. Otherwise, you may fry the injector drivers in the ECU. Double check this with the info from redz31.com, and there is some more info on how to do it on JWT's site.

Comment

my car was never put through the recall. the wiring harness is still stock.

i have seen one 300z that had the injector work done. mine doesn't have any of the tell tail signs.

Comment

actually, i remembered what it was. its not the injecto wiring but the injector driver impedance. 84na and 87na both use low impedance injectors. but the 88 uses high impendance. so if you want to continue using this computer without frying it install the inline resistors.
          Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

wheres the write up on how to do that?

Comment

hmm where to find the original wiring diagrams.... hmmmm thinking.... er....

Comment

i found the write up on jasons web site and already got the resisters down at radio shack. i'll start working on it later.

i need to study for my calc test. good bye until tonight.

Comment

84z31 wrote: wheres the write up on how to do that?
                  Easily accessable if you browse to the romulator page on my site.

Comment

You may want to check into the o2 sensor compatability and wiring
                    with regards to that ecu.I don't know the specifics, but it is likely that some changes have to be made.
                    imagination is a virtue

Comment

from jasons sight it said the O2 sensors are the same for all NA's.

so i think as soon as i get in my car and wire these things in i'll be "safe".

Comment

Cool.
                        I was just making sure it wasn't over looked.
                        imagination is a virtue

Comment

alright.

i got all the resistors hooked up. it fired right up.

i also readjusted my timing. i made it a couple degrees more advanced. and i finally adjusted my throttle sensor. (i think)

Comment

Working...
                          X