Hey guys......new guy+stupid questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys......new guy+stupid questions

HEY!!!! Im new to the board (I have to thank Jason for all the info!!!!! after seeing his site, my Z seems like it could really reach supercar status)

Ive got some crazy questions. I DID SEARCH..but didnt find the answer I was looking for

Pretty simple ones........if possible ?!?!?!

Im running a S-afc (for like three years now) and it works great. For right now I have been using it to tune with. Im only running 10 psi.
    I finally installed a FMIC and I have Water/methanol injection and I wanted to run more boost.
    Im using a walboro 255 lph pump with stock injectors
    How do I know when I have reached max duty cycle with the injectors? Is there a way to meter them underload short of (this is a joke) climbing in the engine compartment while driving?
    Also, at 15 psi......do you guys think the stock injectors are fine? I was going to run the 420 mercedes injectors I have read so much about. I have easy access to it. I will be using the afc to tune it though. Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Take it easy on me with the answers b/c Im so new to the part of the car.
    I had no idea (until I found Jasons site and had looked around a lot on Z31.com) that we could modify and program our ecus!!!! I CANT BELIEVE HOW CHEAP IT IS TOO!!!

I know I will get a lot out of this site and I hope I can add to it!
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

well lets put it this way, you need to tune with a wideband, that will cost some money

you're right about the ecu part, that's easy/cheap, and much more effective than using the afc thing.... and as a benefit you'll know where your injectors are

estimate about 320hp being the upper limit of the stock turbo injectors

Comment

That I was planning on being my next purchase (wide band) before I do anything else to the car. I know the ridiculous air/fuel meter doesnt really tell me jack and the air/fuel meter on the turbo timer I have doesnt tell me jack either. I can kinda watch that to see what my ratio is while driving and at idle, but its no help under boost really.

I just dont want to be shooting the duty cycle of the injectors through the roof and kill them. Ive been told that running the afc is only good for about 10% adjustment. After that the stock ecu trys to readjust (I dont know about ours since its so old) so I dont see a point...at 10 psi its dumping fuel still at 10 %
      What I need to do is get an 88-89 ecu and a romulator and do it right..thatll be the next step.
      Im just really excited that I found a hardcore site with people who can help me not blow my car up (atleast not yet ).....I felt lost with that car..nissanforums is no help with what I want to do with it!!
      I cant believe some of the numbers guys are making on stock internals!!!! incredible!!!

Comment

TODD03412 wrote:
        Im only running 10 psi.
        I finally installed a FMIC and I have Water/methanol injection and I wanted to run more boost.
        If you're still using the stock turbocharger, then running meth/water injection along with an intercooler is completely unnecessary. You're only losing power.

TODD03412 wrote: Also, at 15 psi......do you guys think the stock injectors are fine?
        The stock injectors are fine at 15psi, with a stock turbocharger, but you will need to raise your base fuel pressure. I have safely run 18lbs of boost on the stock t3 turbocharger by first installing a Walbro fuel pump and then raising the base fuel pressure up to 48psi.

TODD03412 wrote:
        I was going to run the 420 mercedes injectors I have read so much about. I have easy access to it. I will be using the afc to tune it though. Is this a good idea or bad idea?
        Bad idea. The mercedes injectors are theoretically too big and out of range of the S-AFC. On paper, they can only control up to 50% higher or 390cc injectors. But, I guess you could run mercedes injectors if you lowered your fuel pressure a bit.

Oh, and welcome to z31performance.com.

Peace!
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

I was kinda of thinking that too (the water injection wasnt working)
          at full boost I think that its not even fully vaporizing. One of my friends was telling me to run straight windshield wiper fluid, Ive been running 50/50 with water for the longest time. I was thinking of just unhooking it for right now. Im sure the intercooler I installed is doing a good job by itself

Comment

windshield wiper fluid? :shock:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

uh...yeah...you got a problem with that?
              It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: windshield wiper fluid? :shock:
                Yup, Learning something new everyday can suck.
                :lol:
                I am here to help...

Comment

When I first heard that a few years ago I was like " WTF?!?!?!" also.
                  A guy who drag races diesels told me about that system!!!!!

I couldnt believe was I was hearing..................then he took me for a ride in his truck............First time Ive ever ridden in a Ram that runs 12's assisted by WIPER FLUID...........HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Haha, yep. You got to shake the bottle tho to see if it suds up, because
                    some have detergents.
                    imagination is a virtue

Comment

What brand W/M injection do you have?
                      Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
                      http://z31performance.com/showthread...86-Turbo-Coupe
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
                      http://z31performance.com/showthread...9;s-1986-300zx

Comment

Turbonetics..............basically a aluminum rectangular tank and I couldve welded up myself and it is powered by a windshield washer motor. Im really needing a smaller valve and a 300psi pump like an aquamist.

Comment

now if only you used your headlight washer pump and reservoir.... for $free

Comment

Domdogg123 wrote: uh...yeah...you got a problem with that?
                            touchy touchy senior dom

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

G-E wrote: now if only you used your headlight washer pump and reservoir.... for $free
                              I got two of the turbonetics systems for free........................or else I wouldve just used the water bottle and motor

Cant turn down free turbonetics stuff LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X