88 and 87 ecu's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 and 87 ecu's

Well i currently swapped a 1988 w Block VG30 into my maxima and it had a 1987 VG30 in it.

Im having problems with it starting ....

I replaced the injector's without testing the old ones that where in there...

Once i put the 87 injectors into the engine i tested the 88 injector's that i took out and they where fine!!!

Still once i put the 87 jectors in car still wouldent start...

Would with starting fluid though...

Then i took the 87 distrubtor tried that.. No Spark after that...

And im about 99% sure its not the fuel pump because fuel get's up to the injectors fine....

Maybe its the FPR????

Maybe its the wiring harness ??? I see that the 88 engine has a extra 02 sensor that the 87 dident.... Up near the lower intake..

Maybe the ecu fried ? A few things did spark when i was working on the car because i forgot to unhook the batt...

I just bought a w block ecu.. the year is late 87...

Do you think this will change any thing ?

Is an 88 ecu any diffrent ?

They are not enough different to matter here.

You should go back to basics. Test each component of combustion using logical thinking. You'll find it.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

So that wouldent be the problem ?

Comment

maybe im way off, maybe not. fuel getting to injectors, but have you checked pressure?
        1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
        1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

if your fuel lines are tightened tight as hell you'll lose pressure and have a hell of a time starting.
          Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
          I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
          Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Well i dont have the lines tightend at all they are just on there....

Comment

Lance wrote: if your fuel lines are tightened tight as hell you'll lose pressure and have a hell of a time starting.
              :? That just doesn't make any sense.

Indigo, check your fusable links. They are in the black box next to the
              battery.You may have fried one.
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
                Originally posted by Lance
                if your fuel lines are tightened tight as hell you'll lose pressure and have a hell of a time starting.:? That just doesn't make any sense.

Last motor swap I did was losing fuel pressure in the fuel lines not being clamped down super tight - and causing it not start, but it would start with starting fluid - poorly.

Comment

[quote]Lance wrote: [quote=craZed]
                  Originally posted by Lance
                  if your fuel lines are tightened tight as hell you'll lose pressure and have a hell of a time starting.:? That just doesn't make any sense.

Last motor swap I did was losing fuel pressure in the fuel lines not being clamped down super tight - and causing it not start, but it would start with starting fluid - poorly.
                  Yes, that makes more sense.
                  If that were the case, then he would notice a big fuel leak?
                  imagination is a virtue

Comment

it was harder to notice than I expected; there was no liquid fuel just a whistling noise (hard to hear when I had no exhaust on)

Comment

Haha well i clamped down the lines and the batt is charging ... It dies so fast when you try to start it...

And another thing , When the plugs ar hard to pull out of the distrubtor does that mean any thing ?

Comment

TheIndigo88 wrote: Haha well i clamped down the lines and the batt is charging ... It dies so fast when you try to start it...

And another thing , When the plugs ar hard to pull out of the distrubtor does that mean any thing ?
                        not that im aware of, but how old are they
                        1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
                        1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Do you have a FSM? If not you should grab one for a Z from carfish and look at the troubleshooting for car won't start, there's some good info there and I'm sure it's close enough to your car to be helpful...

Comment

well the shop that i had the car in , It sparked when the stock 88 distributor was in they changed it any ways to my old 87 distributor and now it wont start with starting fluid and i cant get a spark by putting a bolt into the plug and touching it on the manifold...

And they dident put a mark where the old distributor was and i completely remembering the distrubtor being adlined in the complete middle and nows its like all the way to the right...

Comment

put the 88 distributor back in.....

Only things left are maybe not enough contact's on the grounds...

Engine harness...

ECU Maybe fried or just not compatable...we will see when i recive the 87 W block 300zx ecu ....

Sparkplugs ?? Even though they are new Bosch plats right from autozone new!!!

Or maybe i just suck at life ?

Comment

Working...
                              X