• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napa has them.
    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

88sinZ wrote: as for heat, you could look into getting a Nismo thermostat ($60 USD from nissan). the nismo unit opens 20deg. F lower @ 170F-ish i think 67deg. C? i believe the stock thermostat is 190deg. F

i have one sitting in the garage just havent hooked it up so sorry no review on its performance
      I believe the nismo unit is 160F. Napa has the 170F ones for like 1/5 the price.

Comment

Rick - my engine is 8.3:1. I can't say that I've actually played with the high end timing on the dyno yet. I can tell you that while doing some runs on the road I had to turn down the timing and richen things up because I could hear detonation.

On the dyno I do experience a similar temperature spike during hard pulls. This seems to happen with many cars that are putting out a decent amount of power and have near stock cooling systems. I usually hit about 200F pretty quick. Of course on the highway you probably get more airflow than I do on the dyno with our giant fan and my maxima fans. I also need to try a cooler tstat.

Comment

BTW is this the maroon car that you posted about having hte low compression in one cylinder? Had you done any compression tests previously? It's very possible detonation killed a piston although I would expect more than one to be dead.

Comment

Yup that's the one. I didn't test the compression before.

I might change to a cooler Tstat next week and try less timing on high boost to see if it helps the overheating issue
            Shiro #443

Comment

Stinky wrote: On the dyno I do experience a similar temperature spike during hard pulls. This seems to happen with many cars that are putting out a decent amount of power and have near stock cooling systems. I usually hit about 200F pretty quick. Of course on the highway you probably get more airflow than I do on the dyno with our giant fan and my maxima fans. I also need to try a cooler tstat.
              Are you running a good OEM dual core radiator? I doo get a small spike during a 10 second 4th gear pull... but I'd need to put a good thermocouple in there to know exactly how much it goes up. I do know the recovery is very fast; almost 10 seconds and the needle is back to "regular" (~170F) position.

Comment

Yeah it's a 2 row turbo radiator.Kinda new.I took it off of the SS and bought a new one for the SS.I replaced the original SS radiator a while back.

I was thinking of sending the non turbo radiator to Howe or some other custom radiator shop and tell them to make an aluminum radiator with the same dimensions and a thicker 2 or 3 row core. What do you think?
                Remember,I'm in Miami were it gets damn hot.Today it's like 88 F
                Shiro #443

Comment

Working...
                X