Extension off the fuel pump circuit idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension off the fuel pump circuit idea

i was wondering if there was a way to do a sort of "switch activated fuel pump". sort of like how you'd wire you electric fan to a toggle switch so that whenever you put power to the switch the switch activates the fuel pump and starts building constant pressure and not just half-assing it. in conclusion it would almost be like what race cars have on board their cars as a "cut-off" switch in case of a wreck. if anyone wants to help me on this possible idea, or maybe further what i've thought up that would be cool since i practically have no use for my rear window defrost switch on my center console and thought it would be pretty cool to have that as my fuel pump switch. *shrugs* lets see what we can come up with??
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

It would be pretty straight forward Andrew. People have done it in the past, but its really not a good idea on a daily driven car. More than likely, you'll have the switch in a handy location. What if you accidently bump the switch and don't realize it? No fuel + Boost = very bad of course. But if you insist on running one, I'm sure we can figure a setup out for your tastes.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

the ecu controls the pump ground, but if you had a high amp switch you could just run a new 2-conductor wire to a switch, splice into the power wire anywhere in the harness

Comment

yea matt i see where you're going with that, i didn't know if giving the fuel pump constant voltage through a switch instead of an inconsistant amount like someone mentioned with that relay mod for the fuel pump would make a difference at all. so i figured you and i could try something like that maybe this weekend or something since i get payed this thursday. but again that's all based on your availability and if i decide it's a smart move to locate the switch to the center console near my electric fan switch. but i guess i was thinking of doing that mod with the relay on my fuel pump so there's consistancy, and then just wiring the pump to a switch instead of the ECU controlling the fuel pump's flow if that's what it's actually doing...but of course you'll correct me if i'm wrong,
        1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
        Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

[quote=Morgenstern]in conclusion it would almost be like what race cars have on board their cars as a "cut-off" switch in case of a wreck.quote]

So you're saying that if you crash your car you're going to have time to flick a switch and turn off your fuel pump? Good luck with that!
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

if you switch the hot wire the ecu will still control the ground and therefore it will turn off

thank you, come again

Comment

G-E wrote: if you switch the hot wire the ecu will still control the ground and therefore it will turn off

thank you, come again
              Isn't part of the reason the voltage is inconsistent because of an inconsistant ground?

At any rate Andrew, there are plenty of other issues we could address of more importance to spend time on your car if you would like.
              Originally posted by Andrew84zx
              tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

fuel pump explained.

see my post on the other thread, that will explain the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                X