grounding ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding ideas?

okay so after reading in Import Tuner or somthing else.

the grounded all the coil packs on a KA24 honda motor. for under a dollar they were able to dyno 5 more horsepower.

since i'm poor again. not working in the oilfield anymore. :cry: and gong to school fulltime. i have been thinking about this.

now are cars don't have coilpacks unfortunatly.

do you think with better designed grounds that the car could get more power? minimal at best i'm sure. but worth a try?

i noticed a big gain in power when i got rid of the underpowered alternator and upgraded to a GM 100 amp alternator. strange as it sounds, maybe the extra current gave me better spark power. not sure.

thanks

84z31 wrote: okay so after reading in Import Tuner or somthing else.

the grounded all the coil packs on a KA24 honda motor. for under a dollar they were able to dyno 5 more horsepower.

since i'm poor again. not working in the oilfield anymore. :cry: and gong to school fulltime. i have been thinking about this.

now are cars don't have coilpacks unfortunatly.

do you think with better designed grounds that the car could get more power? minimal at best i'm sure. but worth a try?

i noticed a big gain in power when i got rid of the underpowered alternator and upgraded to a GM 100 amp alternator. strange as it sounds, maybe the extra current gave me better spark power. not sure.

thanks
    Honda has a KA24 motor?

More ground wires would only help smooth out the electrical interference that is often experienced with cars. Sometimes this nets a small gain in measureable power, but most of the time it just provides a more consistent medium for electrical transfer.

(I.E. It won't hurt to add extra ground wires, but you're probably not going to see any real gains.)
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I am gonna do this... Pick up some 10 gauge wire from the store, get some crunch loops, measure them up, and solder em.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

probably not

what ever honda motor had the 24 in it. :lol:

i have owned one honda. it was a civic wagovan with a 1.5L. it blew more smoke screen then a james bond getaway car. :!:

Comment

84z31 wrote: probably not

i have owned one honda. it was a civic wagovan with a 1.5L. it blew more smoke screen then a james bond getaway car. :!:
          It's a K24, they used them in the CR-V.

Wagovan's are sweet. I know a guy locally who has a turbo wagovan. It's not the kind of car you see every day!

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
            Originally posted by 84z31
            probably not

It's a K24, they used them in the CR-V.

Wagovan's are sweet. I know a guy locally who has a turbo wagovan. It's not the kind of car you see every day!
            my daily driver is a 97 wagovan! I absolutely love it!
            Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
            I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
            Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Ah, grounding kits. Some peole swear they make a difference, I say no way. Can't hurt, might even help on olders cars like ours. Dynoing for a 5hp difference is bs, engines and dynos are just not that accurate to count on such a small difference being attributed to a single part.

There was a big discussion about this on my350z and my point was that a new car is not really going to benefit, especially since most sensors have very low power requirements, and run off a 5v reference. I asked someone to provide before/after resistance measurements, but no one took up the challenge. They all said it idled better (when the ingition system is under the least load, ha) but that was just the plecebo effect yet again.

If you really want gains from adding wire to a car, just use much larger batter cables and power/ground cables for the alternator. Those things are just too small on all cars.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

i already rewired with 0 gauge welding cable.

there was 100% differnece between my lights after i did my alternator swap and my wiring upgrade. my lights are white instead of yellow.

i replaced the sealed beams with the euro stlye lights on my 84. and then i added some sylvina silverstar blubs.

Comment

yeah, older cars can definatly use it. All i hear is an overall smoother feeling... What ever that means.

I don't like those braided ground strap things either.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I added another ground strap to the engine on the drivers side head and noted one single difference; my starter cranks slightly faster. Other than that, nothing.

And no, I don't buy into the whole grounding kit deal. People are always looking for cheap 5hp mods.... so badly that they make them up.

Comment

the battery is supposed to ground right at the starter so that the grounding is most effective where it needs it.... the chassis does need more grounds to the engine I fully agree, all the electronics badly need it

a centralized ground point for all wires to ground to is a good idea

Comment

i think this is something MythBusters needs to try.

and the electric turbo!!! :lol:

Comment

its not a myth, electrical devices work best when there is least resistance

just like aerodynamics can help objects tha move accelerate, low resistance can help high current electrics work optimally like lights being brighter, the coil charging quicker and such

you aren't changing the underlying power in any way just wasting less

and btw any metal that conducts electricity on a regular basis will fatigue in a strange way, even if the tactile proprties don't change like flexibility, they do become more resistive as they age

so part 2 of the answer would be old vs new wires, and while you're at it, supersize them

Comment

Working...
                          X