Jason, you ever get that knock lite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason, you ever get that knock lite?

I was just reading My TEC manual, the TEC does have a kock control in it and you can calibrate the sensitivity of the knock signal before the engine starts pulling timing. You can tell it how much timing to pull and how fast the timing is alloud to recover before its back to normal.

However in the manual it talks about how you should not use the knock control over 4500 or 5000 rpm. Mainly because of engine noise. Anything over 5k rpm and the knock sensor cant distiguish between knock and noise. I would imagine the same goes for the Knocklite. You can see in their directions that you can set the sensitivity for low rpm just like the tec but up in the higher rpm it does little good. In there graph it shows that it can distiguish up to 8k but the TEC manual says to turn the knock sensor "off" after 4500 rpm. Granted ANY knock is bad knock but if the engine revs to 7500 and the knock is only good for 4500 then doesnt do a whole lot of good. Ya know?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

I never bought it, but what you said does make a lot of sense. It might explain why the knock feedback is not active at higher RPM's in the stock programming.

Comment

Right, so anything over 5k and the Knocklite is always going to read like its knocking now matter how much timing you pull. Just figured I'd run that buy you and give you a lil different insite on if you should buy it or put that $120 somewhere else is all. Your choice of course, If you do decide to get it I would like to see the results
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I have to wonder how it sets the threshold for knock detection, and if they factor that amount of "normal" engine noise... I would assume they do.

Knock detection right around peak torque (chamber pressure) is probably most essential, and my engine hits it at 4500rpm...

So many questions, I should just call them and ask.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I have to wonder how it sets the threshold for knock detection, and if they factor that amount of "normal" engine noise... I would assume they do.

Knock detection right around peak torque (chamber pressure) is probably most essential, and my engine hits it at 4500rpm...

So many questions, I should just call them and ask.
          I have a question for YOU Jason:

Is that a big brown erect penis in your userpic?
          Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
          I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
          Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

my guess would be that although knock occurs during boost and it is more dangerous then, that it is still more likely to occur at cruising throttle, likely between 1500 and 3000 rpm.... the moment you floor it or at least enough, it should go significantly rich....

at light cruise the fuel is doled out in very small doses and swirl/timing is less than optimal, and presumably if the driver detects knock they will stop and get it fixed

Comment

Working...
            X