No announcement yet.

Turbo Elbow studs/nuts/bolts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they are sticking out, get a torch, heat housing, blast with WD40 or what ever you use. Do that a couple times, then when it is till hot get your channel locks and it should come out. But hell, everyone will tell you something different.

If you don't have a torch, spend the 20 bucks and get one. They come in major handy ALL the time.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

The only solution I see if there is absolutely not even a partial stud sticking out is to use an easy out.
      Attached Files

Comment

MikeZ wrote: The only solution I see if there is absolutely not even a partial stud sticking out is to use an easy out.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

of course, there's always drilling it out and tapping new threads :lol:
          Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
          I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
          Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

7 studs total of course.
            2 came out when I took the elbow off (the nut didnt break loose, it just undid the entire stud lol.
            2 are in 100% perfect shape but still stuck in there.
            3 are broken off but ALL three have EXACTLY enough space to grab with pliers... its like all of them broke in the EXACT same spots, which is approxiametely 1/4th of so of an inch, maybe a LITTLE more.

Im going to go buy a torch and heat it up and spray PB blaster (sitting in PB for 1 day now), and try some locking pliers and see how well it does.

I hope they break free....
            1 small question though... how does someone hold the HOT ASS scorched turbo after it has been heated up?
            1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
            ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
            1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: 2 are in 100% perfect shape but still stuck in there.
              If the threads are fine, use 2 nuts and a locking washer in between the nuts. Thread on the first nut, put the washer on, then put the other nut on and tighten the hell out of it while holding the lower nut with an open ended wrench. Then use the wrench and loosen the lower nut. This should break the stud free. PB blaster or a torch would help here, but may not be necessary. If you can't get the nuts to stop from turning, you will need to have the nut welded on like someone else mentioned.

1SIKZ31 wrote:
              3 are broken off but ALL three have EXACTLY enough space to grab with pliers... its like all of them broke in the EXACT same spots, which is approximately 1/4th of so of an inch, maybe a LITTLE more.
              Use the torch on these, but only heat up the surrounding area, not the stud itself. Tapping the stud while heating will also help it out. Its going to get very hot. Try and do it on your driveway or something while holding it with your foot.

Comment

just got back from sears...

Bought 3 drill bits.
                7/64th inch, 5/64th inch, and another 5/64 inch.

One was a carbide bit, and the other 2 were "titanium coated" drill bits.

also bought a 5/64 and 7/64 screw extractor (set of 2) to go along with the drill bits.

Anyway...
                I put on the drill bit (7/64 titanium) and started making a hole in the middle of the stud, it went down prolly less than 1/16th of an inch and SNAP!
                it broke, put on the 5/64 titanium and put less pressure this time and started going at it and as soon as I started seeing metal shavings... SNAP!

crap!
                good thing i saved the strongest for last (carbide).
                Put it on... starting going at it gently, wasnt cutting through the stud... no metal shavings... nothing... kept going at it. SNAP!

ran out of drill bits.

tryed to use a 7/64 screw extractor and of course it barely made it through the middle of the stud and of course did not work.

Oh yea...
                tryed 2 muffler shops and they said they couldnt do the welding. So I went to "Jotech racing", this highly known tuner shop (lol) and I said if he can weld the nut, he said yes but let him try taking it out with a stud extractor, he took it to the back and came back 15 minutes later and said its stuck in there GOOD.

what now? this sucks... maybe firehawk can come down and help me?
                that would be awesome
                1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
                ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
                1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

You should use some lubrication for the drill bit. I think its a type of powder, not sure.

Try the mapp gas first.

Comment

Working...
                  X