T3/T4 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T3/T4 turbo

My buddy bought a T3/T4 turbo from some company called SS Autochrome (or something like) that from california and he paid $400 for it brand new out of the box.

What I was wondering was if anyone has heard of them and if so what would you say about their products.

Also I was wanting to run twins on a N/A motor and was planning on running the T3/T4's and running true duals. Would that be a good setup? Please let me know something.....

Your friend just wasted 400$.

They're 400$ for a reason, you get what you pay for.

SS AutoChrome along with XSPower are just a few of several eBay turbo scammers.

This turbo is complete garbage! DO NOT even think about buying one of these on ebay, you could end up getting screwed like I did. They are all over the place with cheapass names like XS-Power, superpower, etc etc. Usually selling between $350 and $450 and featuring auctions that contain no real information about the product, these turbos are cheap knockoffs of the actual thing. The supposed "stage 3 turbine" they included with it was the right bore size, but was absolutely not a REAL garrett stage 3 turbine. The seat for the compressor wheel was machined incorrectly, causing this brand new turbo to hammer the compressor wheel into the housing, sending shards of aluminum into my intercooler piping. I ended up with a wrecked turbo and a bunch of pipes to clean out, but considering what happened I was actually lucky. The seller refused to answer my e-mails and it was just out of the time period that PayPal can take action. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE TURBOS; YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
    http://www.redz31.com/pages/turboupgrade.html

Comment

Well there goes that idea, I shoulda known that it was too good to be true.

Thats funny because the box the turbo came in says XS Power.

Comment

ss AC is known for selling very low quality crap that will break on you. if your friend is interested, i have a couple used turbos sitting around, ext wastegate types, shoot me a pm if interested.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
        good thing....

Comment

i sell turbonectics t3/t04 hybrids. they are about $900 without ball bearings $1300 with.

i would suggest just buying a T4 compressor housing and then a t4 compressor wheel. as long as your center section bearing is still in good shape you would build a turbo for about $400 and have a hell of a lot better turbo.

i have heard good things and bad things. but i think they are generally pretty good. since they sell turbos for airplanes as well. they have to have some kind of quality.

Comment

Don't mean to get off the subject but 84z31 where did you get the pic of the popsicle drummer??? :shock:

Comment

right click on the picture. then choose properties

http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00000/94/94/994949_m.gif

Comment

I actually saw a car last week with one of those SS autoshit XScrapper turbochargers. Believe it or not, the thing actually WORKED (as in it didn't self-destruct in the first 5 miles like most of them). I was amazed.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I actually saw a car last week with one of those SS autoshit XScrapper turbochargers. Believe it or not, the thing actually WORKED (as in it didn't self-destruct in the first 5 miles like most of them). I was amazed.
                  I talked to an old friend about "SSAC". He said he knew "several people making good power from SSAC". I personally would rather get a turbo from a reputable company. These things are precision based, they need to be perfect or down they go to the shitter.

Kinda funny, i ended up emailing SSAC to ask them about their bad name. One of their people emailed me back and gave me a link to something about how some other company was selling shitty china turbos that looked like theirs. She said that their turbos are american made and not chinese garbage "made in caves"...

I'd rather not try to find out. I bought a rebuilt turbo for 428$ from "Turbo Exchange" in Charlotte, NC. They have a 1 year warranty and it's already come in handy once. Miss-ballance or something and 145 miles after installation it blew. Within 2 days i had another turbo, still going strong after 7k miles. Very good customer service, very knowledgable.

Comment

My buddy in ABQ NM ran an ssac t3t4 on his turbo integra. He ran this turbo for over a year with no problems just about a month ago it blew up on him. I have seen garrett turbos or turbonetics turbos go just as quick and some quicker than that too.

The down side is that he used to have a garrett and he made xxx whp then that broke or he got rid of it for what ever reason and got an ssac that was the same specs as the garrett but managed to make a good 30whp less on the same setup and same boost.

They probably make there own wheels and they arent that efficient.
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: They probably make there own wheels and they arent that efficient.
                      Yes, I believe they do. I was unable to identify the "stage 3 wheel" as being authentic, as it measured slightly different, had a different fin count, yet it came in a true turbonetics stage 3 turbine housing. Joel at AZ turbo told me the same thing; he didnt know what it was or who made it.

Comment

I talked to my buddy and he decided to go w/ the GT30 and use the ssac ans a $400 paper weight. I would to cause he dropped about $9000 dollars on a fully built motor from Chris Kayes I think somewhere in Dallas and I personally would rather have a $400 dollar piece of scrap than a $9000 piece!

Comment

Why would he buy a 9 grand built motor, but skimp out on a 400$ turbo. That's like buying a ferrari (or any expensive car) and peeing in the gas tank.

Glad to hear he's going it right, instead of taking a major chance.

Tell him to re-sell the turbo on eBay for about 20$ less or so, say it's a brand new SSAC turbo that you are selling because you decided to go a different route. Some civic driver will grab it off your hands.

Comment

a turbo "failing" in the traditional sense doesn't hurt a motor.... now if it were to grenade and fins flew into the engine, maybe....

but wtf was he thinking when he bought it? why not spec a proper garret or hks ball bearing turbo from the start?

Comment

Working...
                            X