Upper intake plenum spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper intake plenum spacers

A while back you may remember a discussion regarding phenolic spacers for between the lower and upper intakes. I designed a 3/8" spacer cnc milled from Delrin, an acetal homopolymer having properties similar to aluminum but has the insulative properties of phenolic.

Last night I installed one of the prototype units I designed on my car. I have already bypassed the coolant lines that heat the throttle body and plenum itself by the cold start valve. I took the car for a hard drive and afterwards I was amazed to discover the intake plenum was almost cool to the touch; as opposed to the barely touchable heated hunk of aluminum it was without the spacer.

These temperature measurements will be checked with a thermocouple on a mostly stock turbo car:
    -All stock lines in place, no spacer
    -Stock lines bypassed from TB and plenum, no spacer
    -Stock lines bypassed, spacer in place.

I'm confident this part will make a noticable performance increase for turbocharged and NA cars alike! ETA for purchase is mid-december, and the price will be set under $100. This is a complete kit which includes the spacer, new plenum mounting hardware, bypass coolant hose and RTV silicone. They will be compatible with both stock fuel rails and aftermarket, as well as stock and aftermarket plenums (but only hardware replacing stock plenum bolts will be included).

Very nice. Looking forward to it.

Comment

hrmmm, should have told me that you had more toys in the pipeline.. maybe we can work something out for the lm-1. Any other toys you're going to make? PM me.
      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

How much length does the spacer add to the runner length? well, I mean how thick is the spacer? Now you just need to find a way to block the water lines in the manifold and still rout water to the heads, Then you will be set! :twisted:
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

http://www.redz31.com/parts/developments.html
          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

I just welded my coolant barb closed.
            Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
            I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
            Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Lance wrote: I just welded my coolant barb closed.
              *There's no water flowing, but there's still water in there transfering the heat with your method.

~In order to accomplish what Satan is asking..."Blocking the coolant from the lower manifold, but still getting the water flowing to the heads"(re-worded for everyones sanity)...This requires a custom and complex lower intake manifold to be fabricated...due to the cooling system design.

8) I have thought alot about a reasonable means to do it....I just cannot come up with one other than what I am stating.

Dan
              I am here to help...

Comment

Sweet
                Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Definetly interested
                  " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
                  LaterZ

Comment

Jason, how effective do you think this spacer will be for a Pathfinder plenum, since it has long runners that extend way beyond the lower intake manifold. I suppose it would help to keep the lower portion of the upper plenum cooler, but I wouldn't think the heat reaches all the way over to the TB. Most of the time, unless its frelling hot outside, I can stand to hold the palm of my hand on the TB and log portion of the Pathfinder plenum after a good drive.

I guess another thing us Pathfinder plenum users would have to worry about, again, is hood clearance.
                    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
                    2000 Porsche Boxster
                    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

let me know if you want some dyno graphs to help your sales

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                      good thing....

Comment

Jason, send me a PM about 2 weeks before these items are scheduled to be avaliable, I'll send you my RX-7 injectors then and you can ship the spacer to me with my injectors.
                        Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]Dan-TSS wrote:
                          Originally posted by Lance
                          I just welded my coolant barb closed.
                          *There's no water flowing, but there's still water in there transfering the heat with your method.

~In order to accomplish what Satan is asking..."Blocking the coolant from the lower manifold, but still getting the water flowing to the heads"(re-worded for everyones sanity)...This requires a custom and complex lower intake manifold to be fabricated...due to the cooling system design.

8) I have thought alot about a reasonable means to do it....I just cannot come up with one other than what I am stating.

Dan
                          Exactly, cause not only do you have to have water flowing to the heads, water has to flow THROUGH the heads. you cant just block it off at the heads. You would have to make some kind of complex piping system. And that is a headache. My friend at work who I gave my 88 turbo z to is going to start making a manifold. I told him he should a dual twin plenum with stock z T/B's and eliminate the water in the lower part. Well see what he actually does though hehehehe
                          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Jason, yet another Z toy I can't wait to buy from you.
                            Keep up the good work.

And about the coolant in the lower intake manifold, here's what Electramotive had in mind:
                            http://z31.com/mods/nismoheads/
                            Last pic.
                            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

:lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X