Tearing down the ole '33, pic heavy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tearing down the ole '33, pic heavy.

Ok, I was pulling the o2 sensor for the LM1 to send to satan.
    And I kinda got in the groove, and started tearing it down.
    The cylinder pics are after I treated them with vaseline, the bores looked PERFECT. I haven't gotten into the drivers side yet, that's for later this week.

I kinda think this is odd, the center cylinder is all the way down in the bore, it was half full of coolant when I left for about two hours to pick up some stuff, when I came back, totally empty. Normal? or bad rings? The bores look textbook.

Anybody have similar pictures of the block of a vg30? I'd like to compare the size directly.

oh, and this is how I'm keeping the tear-down organized, each major section gets it's own compartment. Working pretty well for 6$.. even though at this point I can tell you just about where every bolt goes just by looking at it.

oh, and I'm thinking about selling these. VG33 Morgan's gears.
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

I think you should bore it .060 over and use Q45 pistons. It will make it a vg34. That would be awesome. But good luck with whatever you do good luck with it.
    KILL HADJI

Comment

Re: Tearing down the ole '33, pic heavy.

grahfz wrote:
      I kinda think this is odd, the center cylinder is all the way down in the bore, it was half full of coolant when I left for about two hours to pick up some stuff, when I came back, totally empty. Normal? or bad rings? The bores look textbook.
      When I pulled the engine out of the 84 to replace it I set the block out in the open air on the side of the house for a couple weeks. Only one cylinder would not leak the rain out even after several days and the cylinder that did leak had rings that were completely FUBAR and a cracked cylinder wall. The rest were tight as a drum with 90K+ miles on the engine.

Hope that helps some.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Alex86na2t wrote: I think you should bore it .060 over and use Q45 pistons. It will make it a vg34. That would be awesome. But good luck with whatever you do good luck with it.
        and q45 pistons render what? 10ish-1 compression?

Now custom forged ones .06 with ~8.5-1 would be sweet.

Comment

[quote]grahfz wrote:
          Originally posted by Alex86na2t
          I think you should bore it .060 over and use Q45 pistons. It will make it a vg34. That would be awesome. But good luck with whatever you do good luck with it.
          and q45 pistons render what? 10ish-1 compression?

Now custom forged ones .06 with ~8.5-1 would be sweet.
          I agree with you there, but the Q45 would be WAY cheaper. And you could just have a machine shop shave a little bit off the top of the pistons to lower the compression.
          KILL HADJI

Comment

What the hell camera do you use? those pictures look awsome! clear as day! wish my cheepo Poloroid digi cam did that ops:
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: What the hell camera do you use? those pictures look awsome! clear as day! wish my cheepo Poloroid digi cam did that ops:
              Bwahah, that's my baby. Nikon D70S , it was 1200$ new, they go for ~700 now. Basically a 35mm Digital, REAL LENS.. it makes all the difference
              Look it up.. these pics were taken on Small, and then photobucketed which doesn't do them any favours.

You catch the LM1 pics in the original forsale post?

I still haven't even pulled the protective plastic off of the LCD... I finally noticed it when I was putting it back in the box, lol.

Comment

Re: Tearing down the ole '33, pic heavy.

grahfz wrote: Anybody have similar pictures of the block of a vg30? I'd like to compare the size directly.
                I placed a vg30 and a vg33 piston against each other, and the size difference is rather small. Now compare it to a big block piston, and there is a huge difference.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                X