E-85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-85

if this has been reposted and discussed too bad, i don't spend my life at my computer screen nor this website for more than five minutes for advice. i currently was discussing with my friend about the use of 10% E-85 with every fill up and how it boosts octane. now he's got a 12-gallon tank and only uses a gallon, so in our tanks how much would someone recommend using??
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

19 gallons.... take the "5 minutes" and figure it out

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

i love how people act so harsh towards the uneducated few in here when it comes to gasoline mixtures
      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
      Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

You realize E-85 has 43% less energy than 100% gasoline. Most gas is already 10% ethynal anyways, and that is the highest amount you can safely run in a non-flex fuel vehicle. Higher than 10% puts your fuel pump seals, fuel hoses, and fuel injector seals at risk of LEAKING. Which can burn you car to the ground.

Mixing the 10% e-85 w/ the already diluted gas puts you at 19% ethynal. With this much ethynal you will most likely need to change your a/f around a bit. And even after that you will need to come up with 9.5% higher fuel capacity to achieve the same power as plain 100% gas.

Also new cars that e-85 is designed for have a sensor in the tank that detect the octane and amount of ethynal in it and adjust timing and a/f ratios accordingly.

But if you have a fuel system capable of safely using that much ethynal i would use 100% e-85(unless its a DD, cause of the 40% less mpg). Or settle with 2 gallons of e-85 like your friend.
        KILL HADJI

Comment

Alex86na2t wrote: You realize E-85 has 43% less energy than 100% gasoline. Most gas is already 10% ethynal anyways, and that is the highest amount you can safely run in a non-flex fuel vehicle. Higher than 10% puts your fuel pump seals, fuel hoses, and fuel injector seals at risk of LEAKING. Which can burn you car to the ground.

Mixing the 10% e-85 w/ the already diluted gas puts you at 19% ethynal. With this much ethynal you will most likely need to change your a/f around a bit. And even after that you will need to come up with 9.5% higher fuel capacity to achieve the same power as plain 100% gas.

Also new cars that e-85 is designed for have a sensor in the tank that detect the octane and amount of ethynal in it and adjust timing and a/f ratios accordingly.

But if you have a fuel system capable of safely using that much ethynal i would use 100% e-85(unless its a DD, cause of the 40% less mpg). Or settle with 2 gallons of e-85 like your friend.
          Its actually 34%, but yes he is right due to the 34% lower energy, you also get 34% less gas milage. And it eats your seals. You also have to completely adjust your timing and fuel maps. E-85 is 85% ethanol.

EDIT: sorry its 100 percent ethanol that has 34% less energy than 100% gas. E-85 has 27% less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Thank you for the correction.
            KILL HADJI

Comment

Morgenstern wrote: i love how people act so harsh towards the uneducated few in here when it comes to gasoline mixtures
              It is not "when it comes to gasoline mixtures" but rather every post you make has some degree of laziness in it. You want people to do things for you which you are capable of researching and figuring out on your own in the 5 minutes you spend at your computer.

If you had done that bit of research yourself and asked an intelligent question I believe you would have received a much warmer response.
              http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Was my first a-hole response that i know of.
                The "too bad" part got to me. Sorry if I offended you

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Was my first a-hole response that i know of.
                  The "too bad" part got to me. Sorry if I offended you
                  yeah the too bad part got on my nerves too.

With that said, also keep in mind that ethanol has a much higher oxygen content, meaning that you'll be burning lean on the stock fuel maps... add boost into the mixture and you're in some serious trouble.

I once thought like you and did a 50/50 mixture of pump gas/E-85 on my subaru. It ran like absolute ass, got shitty mpg, and i regreted it.

In other words: don't do it.
                  Attached Files
                  Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
                    Originally posted by Morgenstern
                    i love how people act so harsh towards the uneducated few in here when it comes to gasoline mixtures
                    It is not "when it comes to gasoline mixtures" but rather every post you make has some degree of laziness in it. You want people to do things for you which you are capable of researching and figuring out on your own in the 5 minutes you spend at your computer.

If you had done that bit of research yourself and asked an intelligent question I believe you would have received a much warmer response.
                    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

yes, most pumps have the 10% ethanol already so don't bother adding more you slacker. the gas companies get a tax break by putting it in.
                      Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                      I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                      Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Use the correct premium gas for your car and leave the hocus pocus stuff alone, problem solved...
                        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Working...
                        X