Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Idle has a mind of its own with no electric!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Idle has a mind of its own with no electric!

Weird title name or what?

I have EVERYTHING emissions removed (EGR, cat, that AIV thing behind the drivers headlight, PCV is plugged and I have 2 breathers.
    wires to IAC are cut off (no more stupid computer controlled idle adjustments)
    and my air regulator is un-plugged.

So... there is NO MORE electrical connections controlling ANYTHING related to engine idle...
    its SO weird though.

The engine will idle at 700rpms....
    drive blah blah blah, always idles at 700.
    BOOm 2 hours later now its 1100
    it RANDOMLY changes idle...
    Sometimes 600, sometimes even 500 rpms...

Now... just to let you guys know, im running open intake (my air filter broke) and i have a COMPLETELY custom intake...

and with the engine idleing... you can put ur hand and cover the ENTIRE intake hole entirely and the engine will STILL IDLE and not die even if u leave ur hand there for 2 minutes (after a couple seconds it hurts because engine vacuum is trying to suck ur hand in lol)

wtf could cause this?

Also driving the car hard affects idle greatly?

Is there something mechanical related to something technical like for a dumb example "engine cylinder temperature is higher thus causing the engine to try to suck in more vacuum" or some other theory like that?

thanks!
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

why dont you put your car back together, fix the intake leaks, and see if that fixes it. the "stupid computer controlled idle adjustments" actually do a pretty good job of making the car idle.. why did you remove them in the first place?

Comment

Come on now Arash, put a freaking filter on it.

After MAF intake leaks?
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Comment

disabling the idle/emission controls has no effect on horsepower or torque.
          Show me dynographs to support this, oh wait a minute that information came from your ass didn't it? lol Telling him to put the emissions stuff back on is NOT useful if he doesn't want to use them so quit it. Some early JDM VG30ET engines didn't even come with emission junk at all, so what does that do to your theory eh?!

1SIKZ31,

You NEED an air filter, if you have no filter at all that is VERY bad. Look hard for intake leaks, I bet you have some and if not check/adjust TPS if needed to make sure it's within spec.
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes all the things are only disconnected at the connectors. EGR has been completely welded shut.
            AIV has been completely removed and welded shut.
            the IAC valve has just been cut at the electrical connections.
            I am running no filter because my air filter broke and Im not going to be able to afford one for a while... like... 3-4 weeks from now, I cant afford $40 for an air filter.
            I will get one ASAP maybe someone has a used one I could buy for cheap by any chance?

Oh and yes... it is AFTER MAF leaks, like earlier stated on how I can put my hand in front of the piping and the engine wont turn off... if you put your ear close to the intake, you can hear air "seeping" out of almost EVERY inch of the car, but if I have sooo many leaks how is my car running top-notch driving, only idle is weird... and below 1500 rpms the engine power "surges"...
            im just going to be running like this until i get my turbo conversion in since all the crappy custom intake piping is going to be replaced with stock plumbing anyway...
            1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
            ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
            1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

You really need to get all the leaks fixed. When you turbo it, your boost is going to be lost, and during vacuum, who knows how much dirt you are sucking into the motor.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

the only crappy thing about my car is the idle also, but there isn't any huge leaks, cause my car shut off right away

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Comment

You're still pulling stuff from thin air, you dont know what they do for HP either way so dont make claims based on nothing but your own guess work. And for the record some JDM motors didn't come with emissions junk at all, I know this because a few people I know have imported VG30ET motors from Japan and noted that they didn't come with emission parts like an EGR valve etc. There's no need to try and proove you wrong, your claims are based on no evidence what so ever so the burden of proof is infact on you :P

1SIKZ31, if you can't afford a $40 filter then you have no chance in hell in turbocharging your car and maintaining it from then onwards. If I were you I'd fix up the car as it is and leave it alone... Your poor engine is sucking in unfiltered air which is very bad!

Comment

The thing is, without either of you providing evidence of your claims, they are simply that, claims.

You can figure out that many emissions things have no effect on WOT hp becuase they aren't active during WOT.

Basically the only point in removing emissions/idle electronics is either: a) cosmetic or b)an increase in ease of working on engine.

But many people think that their crappily running cars will run better with emission, et al, removed. This is not the case.
                      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

You're absoluely right! I'm not stating a fact one way or the other for that exact reason, you just dont know until it's proven and until then it's all just pure speculation. No doubt that when an ecu is tuned to run with these things, removing them is in most cases going to create an overly rich mixture but if retuned to compensate for these items not being there then it will run just like normal and not cause any ill effects.

But back on topic, not having emissions items is the least of this guys worries. He has no air filter for crying out loud! lol There's a certain sense of irony in your username, although 1SICKZ31 would be more accurate! :P

So... there is NO MORE electrical connections controlling ANYTHING related to engine idle...
                        Gee and you're having idle problems? Who woulda thought! LOL At least put that back, fix your intake leaks and get a damn air filter. I feel sorry for your poor car.

Comment

How is your 02 sensor?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Comment

Domdogg123 wrote: The thing is, without either of you providing evidence of your claims, they are simply that, claims.

You can figure out that many emissions things have no effect on WOT hp becuase they aren't active during WOT.

Basically the only point in removing emissions/idle electronics is either: a) cosmetic or b)an increase in ease of working on engine.

But many people think that their crappily running cars will run better with emission, et al, removed. This is not the case.
                              I agree. I do like removing some of the emission stuff just to clean up the engine bay, same reason I like the e-fan. Some cars from the 80's and 90's have a much worse clutter of emssion junk than our cars do.
                              Chuck Stong
                              300+ Parts and Performance owner
                              http://www.300-plus.com
                              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                              X