Power outputs while retaining a t3 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power outputs while retaining a t3 turbo

As the title says i would like to know about YOUR experience with trying to make some power while you had your T3 turbo if you have a dyno graph post that please

Long story short because of where i live and the laws/restrictions i have to work with if i go changing my turbo to a t3/t4 then i would have to get a Vechicle Certification"
    But i would like to be able to hit 300 whp on a modified t3 turbo
    think 3" exhaust,gutted plenum,ported heads,cams,Adjustable Cam gears,boost controller,no cat a fairly modified turbo and necessary fuel/electronic mods to go with it

i want to keep everything to resemble original as these cars are Very rare here and im afarid if i modify like mad it might take away from the value in 10 years time.

So am i dreaming a little too much ? or is it possible post what you think and what power you made.
    Yes ive read Jasons FAQ numerous times
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

forgibe me cause I'm a little hammered at hte moment due to the fact htaht tit is my birthady but... if you think that moding your car will reduce the value of it 10 years from now dthenm you are dealing withe the wrong cars. Z31's are gold to us on the board but anyone else just see's it as another 80's car. SO. If I woere you... Iwoudlnt worrry about modding it and the car loosing value. AND. if you were to throw a t3/t4 turbo on your car would the inspectors REALLY know the difference between that ans a normal tirbo?

On topic, I do think it is possible to hit the number you are looking for with those mods you just gootta do it right.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: forgibe me cause I'm a little hammered at hte moment due to the fact htaht tit is my birthady but... if you think that moding your car will reduce the value of it 10 years from now dthenm you are dealing withe the wrong cars. Z31's are gold to us on the board but anyone else just see's it as another 80's car. SO. If I woere you... Iwoudlnt worrry about modding it and the car loosing value. AND. if you were to throw a t3/t4 turbo on your car would the inspectors REALLY know the difference between that ans a normal tirbo?

On topic, I do think it is possible to hit the number you are looking for with those mods you just gootta do it right.
      :shock: Dude you are FU**ING DRUNK!!! :lol:

Anyways there SATAN Happy Birthday man!!

"tirbo"

Comment

I wouldn't sell out the Z31 so quickly SATAN, over here they're increasing in value. In just 5 years the book value has gone up $3,000AU. Now obviously the over saturated US market is going to see a much longer delay before the value increases but give it time...

As for not being able to modify the turbo, why not? Who's gonna know?
        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

You made no mention of an intercooler.

Is that just because it slipped the mind, or because its something that you wont be able to do?

If your going to make 300 horsies out of a stock T3, your going to be creating a hell of a lot of heat with it. I dont think it would be possible to hit the numbers you want without a charge air cooler.

However with some good head work, and the proper cam to go with it, I do believe that 300 horse would be achievable on the T3
          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

You might be able to squeeze out close to 300 whp but only with an intercooler or maybe meth/water injection. The problem is that at the boost level you will need to run there's just way too much heat being created by the small t3. I ran 292rwhp on a dynojet with a stock t3, intercooler, 3" exhaust, and fuel upgrades. Without something to cool the air you're stuck at lower boost levels and lower power levels.

Comment

oh yeah intercooler is ment to be on that list and i am all keen to modify the turbo but would like to keep it looking stock, i would be quite happy with around 280 whp
              85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

GotFast? wrote: You made no mention of an intercooler.

Is that just because it slipped the mind, or because its something that you wont be able to do?

If your going to make 300 horsies out of a stock T3, your going to be creating a hell of a lot of heat with it. I dont think it would be possible to hit the numbers you want without a charge air cooler.

However with some good head work, and the proper cam to go with it, I do believe that 300 horse would be achievable on the T3
                thisis also what i thought but how i go about this is what im not really too sure of i have a t3 turbo to get rebuilt at some stage and im very unsure of what needs to be done to it, ie what stage of exhaust wheel and if the compressor wheel should be changed or experiment with a stock one first
                85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

ok, so you are going to add an intercooler and remove your cat, but these inspectors wont care about that, they just dont want to see a non-stock turbo? that makes no sense whatsoever.. who inspects your car, and for what purpose? if you are willing to modify your turbo then get the turbine housing bored to fit a stage 3 wheel, and get a to4 housing and compressor.. thats a modified stock turbo..

Comment

300zxt wrote: I wouldn't sell out the Z31 so quickly SATAN, over here they're increasing in value. In just 5 years the book value has gone up $3,000AU. Now obviously the over saturated US market is going to see a much longer delay before the value increases but give it time...

As for not being able to modify the turbo, why not? Who's gonna know?
                    The value of my Z has risen about ~1,500$ USD since i bought it.

Comment

do all the mods that they can`t see, cams, cam gears, head work, 3.3 ltr engine, gut the cat and put a pipe inside, stick a bb in the vacuum line to the egr, and they won`t know the difference between the stock and modified turbo.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                      good thing....

Comment

another way to hollow your cat (note: this isn't bullshit, i've done it before)

Step 1: remove cat
                        Step 2: locate fencepost
                        Step 3: Impale cat using said fencepost
                        Step 4: Shake cat real good and/or blast with compressed air
                        Step 5: reinstall cat
                        Funny stories!

Comment

It's still a restriction in the exhaust system like that, the better way is just to run a straight pipe thru it the same diameter as your exhaust. That way it still looks like you have a cat, but functions the same as if you just had a straight thru exhaust.

But being that his sig says he can run a decat pipe instead of the cat in NZ it doesn't matter to him having to do either.
                          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

If you take a vehicle that is OEM stock in GREAT SHAPE and it apraises for x amount of dollars, and then you start adding modifications to it the value goes down.

I think I have the opinion of the z not being worth a shit because I see so many z31's in colorado that are just rust buckets or beat to shit. Basicly nobody in Colorado wants them which is prolly one of the only reasons mine is the fastest one in colorado.

As far as actual numbers go. If you want a car to go up in value a great deal, do the following:

Buy the car in good to great shape
                            Dont drive it
                            repair every little thing that is wrong with it back to stock
                            stick it in your garage for many years and never touch it.

Generaly cars are horrible investment opportunities unless you are just buying them to fix them and flip'em for more that what you put into them. Why buy a nice car that the only way you can only enjoy it is by going out to the garage to stare at it?

And yes an intercooler as well.
                            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

sounds like im crazy but i would rather wait to get a more modern turbo like a garret gt later on when i know how to drive rwd properly(im 17 and 280hp would be plenty), and with the mods i want to do like cams and headwork it should mean that i can get enough power for me without really having to change the turbo.Insurance is also an issue with me so my vechicle has to seem un modified or i can't get insurance at all. And with the 6 month vechicle inspection mods that can increase the power by more than 20% need a certification. Without a cert if i get pulled over my vechicle gets pink stickered ( which means it can't be driven untill the inspector says its safe again) and i can't get that if i dont have a certification. and as before with a certification i wont get insurance because im not over 25.

edit: what 300zxt and Satan said are totally spot on in my view
                              85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

Working...
                              X